setup / hardware help

Old January 22nd 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
smeg

Default setup / hardware help

I've just tried to help a family member in the UK (I'm in the US) setup
their broadband connection, and it didn't go so well.

They just had ADSL enabled at their rural exchange, he's bought a
Netgear ADSL modem, and a Netgear wireless router. I don't have
specifics on the hardware yet.

Two PCs.

The PCs can talk internally, and get IPs internally.

Modem into one PC, and feed the modem with the login details for the ISP
and it works great.

Plug the modem into the uplink on the router, and leave the router with
no login info, nothing.

Then we started switching around who authenticates with the ISP. Giving
the login ingo to both the modem and the router didn't work, just the
router, nothing, just the modem nothing either. It seems the router
isn't talking to the modem.

Cable tests fine.

I'm guessing there is some way to tell the router to receive it's
connection from the modem, but I don't know how, and being remote it's
tricky to work it out. I have a nonwireless Netgear router, and have had
a non wireless adsl/router combo by netgear, so I am fairly famialiar
with their hardware.

Ideas? Anyone got this setup?

smeg
--
Change "junk" for "smeg" when replying via email.
http://www.ukbodyart.org
Old January 22nd 04, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
public mike

I don't know that particular router, I use a similar set up but different
products (and not wireless)

Can he check on the WAN side of the router to see if it has an IP address
from the modem? Also has the DNS server address been propagated from the
modem.

Is the modem set up for DHCP server?

Is the router WAN side set up to 'get an ip address automatically" i.e. from
the modem.

The set up I use is

Use the modem to authenticate to the ISP and give an IP address to the
router, which should be set up to get an IP address from the modem.(DHCP
client)

Usually, it doesn't matter where the address of the DNS server is, but I
hard set it in the router

Hope this helps, but report back how it goes

Regards, Mike

Old January 23rd 04, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
smeg

"smeg" wrote in message
[...]

In article ,
says...
I don't know that particular router, I use a similar set up but different
products (and not wireless)

Can he check on the WAN side of the router to see if it has an IP address
from the modem? Also has the DNS server address been propagated from the
modem.

Is the modem set up for DHCP server?

Is the router WAN side set up to 'get an ip address automatically" i.e. from
the modem.

The set up I use is

Use the modem to authenticate to the ISP and give an IP address to the
router, which should be set up to get an IP address from the modem.(DHCP
client)

Usually, it doesn't matter where the address of the DNS server is, but I
hard set it in the router

Hope this helps, but report back how it goes

Regards, Mike

The modem is a Netgear DM602, with a Netgear MR814v2 router.

Right now, the modem is getting an IP from his ISP (Pipex), because if
he plugs it into his PC he gets a net connection.

The issue appears to be with the modem talking to the router. The router
is set to DHCP, but does the modem need anything?

Of course, it would be so much easier if he had done as I asked and
bought an ADSL modem/router combo in the first place ...

Thanks for the advice, if anyone has anymore, please feel free to help
me out

smeg
Old January 23rd 04, 02:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:34:52 -0500, smeg wrote:

"smeg" wrote in message
[...]

Are all internal PC's set to obtain IP address via DHCP?
Is router set to issue IP's on DHCP on network side?
Is router set to obtain IP address on WAN side?
Are IP ranges on WAN and LAN sides of router on different ranges?

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old January 23rd 04, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:03:56 -0500, smeg wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:41:22 -0500, smeg wrote:

In article ,

says...

So can you access the admin interface on the router?
I'm still thinking! I'm just off to check something.

Now there's a though ...

if th modem is plugged into the pc, we can get to it's admin interface.

if the router is plugged in between, we can get to the routers
interface, but not the modem ...

I wonder if they are both on the same internal IP (192.168.0.1), and if
so, can the router be switched over to .2 ...

It does sound like something to do with IP addressing on the router. I
think from what I understand of your posts and with limited knowledge
of that particular router the WAN port should be set to get IP address
automatically and assign DHCP on the LAN side.
If either of these two settings are not available try setting fixed
IP's.
Put the internal network on the range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254,
subnet 255.255.255.0 with the default gateway as 192.168.0.1.
Set the routers LAN interface to 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0.
Set the routers WAN interface to 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0.
Set the modems IP address to 192.168.1.2, subnet 255.255.255.0.

Other than that, I'm struggling for ideas! I usually set up home
networks with fixed IP, you know where you are the when
troubleshooting.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.