Advice re messages to AOL

Old January 23rd 04, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Default Advice re messages to AOL

I am currently on a dial up network with Freeserve but message to AOL
accounts bounce and i have to dial up with another ISP which is a pain in
the arse, especially as I'm paying for Freeserve Anytime. So now my contract
with freeserve has passed the minimum period I'm going to switch to ADSL.
Most likely at the moment is PlusNet but can someone answer a couple of
queries?
1)How easy is it to connect 2 pc's to the same connection?
2)Can I still use my current email addresses? (Have about 12, some of which
are on my own domains (we have 3 websites) and some, like my freeserve one
have been in use by family and friends for yonks so I don't want to lose
them.
3)Can you still use OE and still access all the ngs?
4) Is there any conflict sending to AOL addresses? For that matter, is there
any conflict with any ADSL provider in sending messages to AOL addresses. I
don't want to get it all set up and then find they're being bounced again!
Thanks

Old January 23rd 04, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Watts

"Dee" wrote in message

1)How easy is it to connect 2 pc's to the same connection?

Very. Use a combined modem and router for an easy life!

2)Can I still use my current email addresses? (Have about 12, some of

which
are on my own domains (we have 3 websites) and some, like my freeserve one
have been in use by family and friends for yonks so I don't want to lose
them.

Yes. PlusNet alllow both sending and receiving.

3)Can you still use OE and still access all the ngs?

Yes

4) Is there any conflict sending to AOL addresses? For that matter, is

there
any conflict with any ADSL provider in sending messages to AOL addresses.

don't want to get it all set up and then find they're being bounced again!

Don't know; don't think so. But if somebody is crazy enough to have an aol
account do you reeally want to communicate with them anywayVBG

Chris

Old January 23rd 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:24:56 -0000, "Dee"
wrote:

I am currently on a dial up network with Freeserve but message to AOL
accounts bounce and i have to dial up with another ISP which is a pain in
the arse, especially as I'm paying for Freeserve Anytime. So now my contract
with freeserve has passed the minimum period I'm going to switch to ADSL.
Most likely at the moment is PlusNet but can someone answer a couple of
queries?
1)How easy is it to connect 2 pc's to the same connection?

Simple, with a couple af NIC's router etc..

2)Can I still use my current email addresses? (Have about 12, some of which
are on my own domains (we have 3 websites) and some, like my freeserve one
have been in use by family and friends for yonks so I don't want to lose
them.

I do, I have several on different domains.

3)Can you still use OE and still access all the ngs?

Yes, just quicker!

4) Is there any conflict sending to AOL addresses? For that matter, is there
any conflict with any ADSL provider in sending messages to AOL addresses. I
don't want to get it all set up and then find they're being bounced again!

When you say bounced, do you mean at the aol end. Who's SMTP servers
are you currently using.
I have a Pipex DSL account and set all my SMTP servers to match Pipex
settings on all accounts, Freeserv, Tiscali, my own domain etc..

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old January 23rd 04, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stevie

wrote:

[...]

It's freeserve's and apparently it's a known problem. AOL bounces it from
their server as spam. Freeserve they are "doing their best to come up with a
solution". Yes I currently have all my SMTP settings set to freeserve so
they send ok. When I'm sending to AOL, I have to dial up my freeola
connection to get them to go through. Crazy! The answers above look good so
I think I'll go for it with PlusNet.
Thanks all

Old January 23rd 04, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Sorry - using partners pc hence the sex change!