Ping?

Old January 23rd 04, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fatty

Default Ping?

I'm getting a 1mb upgrade from 512k and I play online a bit. Does anyone
have any experience of how the ping improves?

Old January 23rd 04, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"fatty" wrote in message ...
I'm getting a 1mb upgrade from 512k and I play online a bit. Does anyone
have any experience of how the ping improves?

It shouldn't make any discernable difference.

Jc.

Old January 23rd 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IanDunbar

"Josey" wrote in message

"fatty" wrote in message

I'm getting a 1mb upgrade from 512k and I play online a bit.

Does anyone
have any experience of how the ping improves?

It shouldn't make any discernable difference.

Yep, waste of money if you're expecting smoother online game play,
1mb just gives you faster downloads it does not improve latency.

Ian

Old January 23rd 04, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark²°°³

fatty wrote:
"Josey" wrote in message

"fatty" wrote in message

I'm getting a 1mb upgrade from 512k and I play online a bit. Does

anyone

have any experience of how the ping improves?

It shouldn't make any discernable difference.

Jc.

Ok but why?

Imagine you connection as a hosepipe, it will be delivering more water,
but the molecules aren't travelling any faster. -

--

Mark²°°³
Old January 23rd 04, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:40:23 -0000, "fatty" wrote:

Ok but why?

because the lines are the same length and the number of routers and
things in the way is the same

Phil
Old January 23rd 04, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart

It shouldn't make any discernable difference.

Jc.

Ok but why?

Data travels at the speed of light, regardless of bandwidth. The
bandwidth determines how much data can be passed though in any given
time slot.

So if you are only using say 30% of your existing bandwidth for an
online game, and you double the bandwidth, then your down to 15%. A
nice improvement. But also remember that it's only the link between you
and your ISP that your speeding up, so it's a 15% speed gain over say
10% of the overall journey. Not much difference.

S.
Old January 23rd 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:01:49 +0000, Mark²°°³
wrote:

Imagine you connection as a hosepipe, it will be delivering more water,
but the molecules aren't travelling any faster.

analogy failure.

The molecules will indeed be travelling faster if more water is coming
down the pipe. This analogy would suggest that pings would be shorter
att the higher speed (flow)

Phil
Old January 23rd 04, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

wrote:

Imagine you connection as a hosepipe, it will be delivering more water,
but the molecules aren't travelling any faster.

analogy failure.

The molecules will indeed be travelling faster if more water is coming
down the pipe. This analogy would suggest that pings would be shorter
att the higher speed (flow)

The pipe analogy works if you consider a bigger pipe (which is nearer to
the ADSL model), which I think Mark meant. More water flows, but at the
same velocity.

--
Jim Crowther "It's MY computer" (tm SMG)
Avoid more swen by dumping your old Usenet addresses, and
Old January 23rd 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Phil Thompson
writes
Imagine you connection as a hosepipe, it will be delivering more water,
but the molecules aren't travelling any faster.

analogy failure.

The molecules will indeed be travelling faster if more water is coming
down the pipe. This analogy would suggest that pings would be shorter
att the higher speed (flow)

Try this one,

The larger pipe may be able to transfer more total water per unit time
....... but it takes you the same time to walk to the tap......

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'