Recommendations please

Old January 23rd 04, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alun Williams

Default Recommendations please

Richard,

Thanks for replying but I have the following query.

Point 1. I want each family member to have their own email account and
mailbox with individual username and password access. By the looks of what
your saying plusnet only supply one mailbox. Is this correct?

Thanks

Alun

"richardfullstophorton horton @solstans.remove.co.uk" "richardfullstop
wrote in message ...
Alun Williams wrote:
1. 5 separate email addresses and mailboxes in the form
or .co.uk etc not

or
.co.uk etc

Plusnet allow unlimited email addresses and you can get domain names so
you can use

2. 1 above accessible via webmail and pop.

Supported...

3. 1 above able to be configured to forward a copy of all emails
automatically to another address.

Yep.

4. Newsgroup access. As may NG's as possible.

Text news groups are fine, binaries can be abit below par.

5. 512 kbps

No problem here....

6. Free modem and connection (if possible though not essential)

Depends on the package but other than possible issues with your NG's
plusnet fit the bill...
--
Richard Horton
"Users are like a virus, each causing a thousand tiny crises until the

Old January 23rd 04, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow, Sam J

"Alun Williams" wrote in message
Richard,

Thanks for replying but I have the following query.

Point 1. I want each family member to have their own email account and
mailbox with individual username and password access. By the looks of what
your saying plusnet only supply one mailbox. Is this correct?

NO!!!!

Plusnet allow unlimted and entirely seperate mailboxes with different
passwords to be created as you wish, all accessibile via pop3 or webmail as
you wish.

They have a management tool on their portal which allows you to create a new
mailbox, redirect or list all. You simply logon with username+mailbox name
and the password set for that mailbox.

As the other poster said you can get a domain name on your account, £1 extra
a month on most accounts, and this will do you for webspace and email (and
perahaps a friendly name for remote access to your network with a subdomain
if you wish).

so....

each mailbox can have mail fired at

(or plus.com)

Any mail directed at an address that isn't a defined mailbox will go to the
catch all - you simply login with 'username' as opposed to username+mailbox
to catch mail from this address.

All works very well.

Sam

wrote in message ...
Alun Williams wrote:
1. 5 separate email addresses and mailboxes in the form
or .co.uk etc not

or
.co.uk etc

Plusnet allow unlimited email addresses and you can get domain names so
you can use

http://www.solstans.co.uk

---
If you have any queries regarding this email please contact Horshamnet on
08708811293. This email have been certified Virus free using AVG

Old January 23rd 04, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alun Williams

Sam,

Brilliant reply! Covers pretty much everything thank you very much. The only
other query I have is whether you've had any called to use their customer
service at all and if so how have you found them? I'm switching from NTheLl
who's customer service is non-existant via email, telephone or snail mail
and don't wnat to be bitten twice.

Thanks again

Alun

news

Old January 23rd 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
richard

Alun Williams wrote:
Sam,

Brilliant reply! Covers pretty much everything thank you very much. The only
other query I have is whether you've had any called to use their customer
service at all and if so how have you found them? I'm switching from NTheLl
who's customer service is non-existant via email, telephone or snail mail
and don't wnat to be bitten twice.

I've rarely needed to use their customer services but every time I have
they've been thorough and quick to resolve problems where they can
resolve them and otherwise have kept me informed as to what was going on
(BT had decide to drop one of their use cockups on to my ISDN line)...

You've got two main ways of getting fast answers, via telephone and via
a ticketing system which is online.

So I'd recommend them whole heartedly....

Old January 24th 04, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow, Sam J

"Alun Williams" wrote in message
Sam,

Brilliant reply! Covers pretty much everything thank you very much. The

only
other query I have is whether you've had any called to use their customer
service at all and if so how have you found them? I'm switching from

NTheLl
who's customer service is non-existant via email, telephone or snail mail
and don't wnat to be bitten twice.

Well I can name quite a few of them and that says something, at least that
they exist.....
and if you don't belive me you can see them on the webcams.

Seriously though Ian Wild provides alot of the support in the customer
newsgroup as well as others; they use a ticketing system for raising
problems which works well and enables you and support to respond, basically
each reply then goes into a queue to be read and when something is done to
resolve your issue \ a reply is given you are notified.

Telephone support is also very good via an 0845 number. I find plusnet to be
very open and honest, they are always helpful - none of this oh it must be
your router, we didn't supply it lets shift the blame. They are highly
trained and know what they are doing when it comes to networking, not some
Indian call center worker troubleshooting using some pathetic program.

Waiting times for support are usually quite short but if there is a long
delay this is made clear with stats on the website showing phone queue times
and ticket response times - at least you know where you stand.

HTH

Certainly the best ISP i've used and would be hard to beat, ok they have the
odd network problem like everyone else but I think they have learnt from
previous customer service issues and importantly listen alot to their
customers.

(and no I don't work for them or anything, but whilst I could earn more by
recommending openworld, if you do sign up I do get a slight discount if you
mention that i'm )

Sam

Thanks again

Alun

"Albrow, Sam J" wrote in message
news

"Alun Williams" wrote in

message

---
If you have any queries regarding this email please contact Horshamnet on
08708811293. This email have been certified Virus free using AVG
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old January 24th 04, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow, Sam J

Martin² wrote:
You can sign up as PAYG PlusNet customer, set up an email and then
use it from PlusNet ADSL connection.
Hence you can have completely separate addresses for each member of
your family without having to set up domain name(s).

True but this would only give / plus.com
so.. unless each family member has their own different business a sensible
email address such as

[email protected] bloggs.f9.co.uk
[email protected] bloggs..hmm it all depends if the second part of the address is wanted
to be different or if
is whats prefered (or perahaps
the user should choose me.uk for this use).

A good point but would it work?

It is an excellent point that you can get at accounts from anywhere in the
network - so if you have different sites, dial in on a laptop etc but want
to access things you can.

PlusNet monitors this group, if you raise a problem here they will
reply. AFAIK no other ISP does that.

True, although some of the other good isp's do occassionally, Ian (mainly)
does reply here often though.

Sam

---