North East to get 100% of exchanges ADSL enabled

Old January 23rd 04, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default North East to get 100% of exchanges ADSL enabled

by March 2005...

BT and the One NorthEast regional Development Agency have announced that
100% of BT telephone exchanges will be enabled by March 2005.

The relevant press releases are at:

http://www.btplc.com/Mediacentre/Arc...004/nr0408.htm
http://www.onenortheast.co.uk/page/n.../index.cfm#668

Regards
Sunil

Old January 23rd 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cairnsy

Having seen the list of exchanges and knowing some of the areas, under
normal circumstances, some of these would not reach a trigger level even
if it was set to 40-50.
--
Mugwump

I totally agree with you. I have only just started a campaign for
Longframlington, decent sized village, pop of 2,000+, trigger of 150, upto
53 already, but we've now been bundled into PHASE 5, with even larger
villages such as Rothbury! Yet a village only 2 miles away, that has a thri
of he population of us, is due to get turned on in June this year as they
are PHASE 2!!!! This is a joke from BT! You would have thought they would
activate the bigger ones first, but nooooooo, not BT, and One North East.

Cairnsy (dismounting from his soapbox!!).

Old January 23rd 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
by March 2005...

BT and the One NorthEast regional Development Agency have announced that
100% of BT telephone exchanges will be enabled by March 2005.

The relevant press releases are at:

http://www.btplc.com/Mediacentre/Arc...004/nr0408.htm
http://www.onenortheast.co.uk/page/n.../index.cfm#668

For completeness this is the current rollout schedule under this scheme:

Exchanges to be enabled 19th March 2004 (Phase One)

Brotton
Dudley
Easington
Loftus
Saltburn

Exchanges to be enabled 26th March 2004 (Phase One)

Allendale
Alnmouth
Belsay
Burnopfield
Greatham
Haltwhistle
Haydon Bridge
Humshaugh
Staindrop

Exchanges to be enabled by end of June 2004 (Phase Two)
Allenheads
Barnard Castle
Capheaton
Croft
Dipton
Edmundbyers
Felton
Hartburn
Hylton
ICI Wilton
Longhorsley
Longhoughton
Powburn
Riding Mill
Rushyford
Sacriston
Slaley
Whorlton
Willington

Exchanges to be enabled by end of September 2004 (Phase Three)
Blaydon
Bowes
Castleton
Cockfield
Coldstream
Corbridge
Cotherstone
Great Whittington
Red Row
Skelton
Stannington
Ulgham
West Auckland
Wylam

Exchanges to be enabled by end of December 2004 (Phase Four)
Charlton Mires
Crookham
Gainford
Kirkwhelpinton
Middleton in Tees
Mindrum
Newbrough
Norton
Otterburn
Sherburn Hill
Tom Law
Wellfield

Exchanges to be enabled by end of February 2005 (Phase Five)
Alston
Ancroft
Bamburgh
Bardon Mill
Barningham
Beal
Belford
Bellingham
Birgham
Blanchland
Chathill
Chatton
Dinsdale
Eastgate
Embleton
Forest in Teesdale
Frosterley
Gilsland
Great Smeaton
Greenhaugh
Hallbankgate
Harbottle
Hartburn (TY)
Haverton Hill
HeppleHoly
Island
Hutton udby
Kielder
Longframlinton
Lowick
Milfield
Netherton
Norham
Paxton
Piercebridge
Rothbury
Scots Gap
Seahouses
Seal Sands
Shilbottle
Stillington
Wark
Wearhead
West Woodburn
Whalton
Whitfield
Whittingham
Witton Le Wear
Wolviston
Wooler
Wooperton

Regards
Sunil

Old January 23rd 04, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"cairnsy" wrote in message
Having seen the list of exchanges and knowing some of the areas, under
normal circumstances, some of these would not reach a trigger level even
if it was set to 40-50.

I don't know the North East but I guess this os one of the reasons why
Regional/European aid can be used for this area.

I totally agree with you. I have only just started a campaign for
Longframlington, decent sized village, pop of 2,000+, trigger of 150, upto
53 already, but we've now been bundled into PHASE 5, with even larger
villages such as Rothbury! Yet a village only 2 miles away, that has a

thri
of he population of us, is due to get turned on in June this year as they
are PHASE 2!!!! This is a joke from BT! You would have thought they would
activate the bigger ones first, but nooooooo, not BT, and One North East.

Hmm - if the RFS dates for these exchanges have been set, as per the method
normally used, the delay could be to do with the amount of work needed to
upgrade the exchange and install the necessary backhaul.

The One NorthEast news release does make a reference to "miles of fibre
optic cable will be laid to connect some of the exchanges back to the core
internet network"

Phase 5 does say "by end of February 2005 " - that could be any time between
now and then...

Regards
Sunil

Old January 23rd 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cairnsy

Hmm - if the RFS dates for these exchanges have been set, as per the
method
normally used, the delay could be to do with the amount of work needed to
upgrade the exchange and install the necessary backhaul.

The One NorthEast news release does make a reference to "miles of fibre
optic cable will be laid to connect some of the exchanges back to the core
internet network"

Most of the exchanges where up graded a few years back, the larger villages
especially, fibre optics, etc... Proberly due to the quick increases in the
sizes of the places, new estates, etc...

Phase 5 does say "by end of February 2005 " - that could be any time

between
now and then...

Quite possibley, but until RFS dates are given, think I'll just keep going
with the campaign, you never know!

cairnsy

Old January 24th 04, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:08:30 +0000, Sunil Sood wrote:

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
by March 2005...

BT and the One NorthEast regional Development Agency have announced that
100% of BT telephone exchanges will be enabled by March 2005.

The relevant press releases are at:

http://www.btplc.com/Mediacentre/Arc...004/nr0408.htm
http://www.onenortheast.co.uk/page/n.../index.cfm#668

For completeness this is the current rollout schedule under this scheme:

Someone is really taking the **** here. A number of these exchanges have
already made their targets, yet are being give RFS dates way in the future
of exchanges that have not even got close to their target.

For example Haydon Bridge and Allendale which never met it's target have
a RFS of 26th March, but Wylam which put a lot of hard work in to reach
a difficult target of 500, gets no date, just phase 3 by the end of
September.

This makes a total and utter mockery of the demand registration scheme.
Those exchanges that met their target should have a degree of priority in
the interests of fairness.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195

Old January 24th 04, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:50:19 +0000, cairnsy wrote:

Having seen the list of exchanges and knowing some of the areas, under
normal circumstances, some of these would not reach a trigger level even
if it was set to 40-50.
--
Mugwump

I totally agree with you. I have only just started a campaign for
Longframlington, decent sized village, pop of 2,000+, trigger of 150, upto
53 already, but we've now been bundled into PHASE 5, with even larger
villages such as Rothbury! Yet a village only 2 miles away, that has a thri
of he population of us, is due to get turned on in June this year as they
are PHASE 2!!!! This is a joke from BT! You would have thought they would
activate the bigger ones first, but nooooooo, not BT, and One North East.

Worse than that exchanges that met their targets last year, so by
rights should have a RFS are low down in the list with projected RFS
dates way in the future when other exchanges which never met any
target get done my the end of March.

JAB.

Old January 24th 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:06:30 +0000, Jonathan Buzzard
wrote:

Worse than that exchanges that met their targets last year, so by
rights should have a RFS are low down in the list with projected RFS
dates way in the future when other exchanges which never met any
target get done my the end of March.

the price to pay for getting a 100% covereage deal planned for optimum
economics rather than chasing a demand led hare, perhaps ?

Phil
Old January 24th 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

wrote:

Worse than that exchanges that met their targets last year, so by
rights should have a RFS are low down in the list with projected RFS
dates way in the future when other exchanges which never met any
target get done my the end of March.

the price to pay for getting a 100% covereage deal planned for optimum
economics rather than chasing a demand led hare, perhaps ?

Except those exchanges that have *already* met their targets do not need
including in a 100% coverage deal. They are going to be done anyway
regardless.

The are people who played by the rules put a great deal of time effort and
money into raising awareness in their exchange area, and got the asked for
registrations.

They have now been effectively kicked in the teeth, and are facing
a RFS date that is months later than they could otherwise have expected.
I cannot see how anyone could possible describe this as a fair and
equatable outcome.

JAB.

Old January 24th 04, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:24:54 +0000, Jonathan Buzzard
wrote:

Except those exchanges that have *already* met their targets do not need
including in a 100% coverage deal.

they don't "need" to be included but if you were negotiating what
would you do - enable exchanges here there and eveywhere or plan an
optimum implementation.

Always a PITA when someone changes the rules midstream. If the RDAs
etc were worth a flying f*ck they would have talked to campaigners and
knitted their interests into the big plan.

Phil