Adding wireless router to Telewest and NTL Broadband - MAC address question

Old January 23rd 04, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Default Adding wireless router to Telewest and NTL Broadband - MAC address question

I'm an ADSL user, myself, and have added a wireless router to my setup with
no problems. A friend of mine has Telewest Blueyonder Broadband and wants to
do the same thing, with my help. As I understand it there is a bit of
faffing about required to do with registering MAC addresses with Blueyonder
and they say you can only have one computer attached at a time, although 5
MAC addresses can be registered.

Obviously the point of adding a router is to allow multiple connections.
What is required in order to implement a router with Blueyonder regarding
authorised MAC addresses? Does my friend need to tell any porkies or does he
just need to tell them the MAC address of the router and that's it?

I also have friends with NTL Broadband and I guess the same question applies
for them too. They are looking to me for advice and I don't want to make a
cods up of it all.

TIA,
Tim.

Old January 23rd 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Some routers will "spoof" the one mac address for this very reason. Not sure
which one will for cable though

Ian

Old January 23rd 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Lord

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
[...]

The router has it's own MAC address which is the only MAC address visible to
the cable co. Many routers can also clone the MAC address of one of the
clients, so the cable co. won't even know that the set-up has changed.

HTH

Andy

Old January 23rd 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Andy Lord wrote:
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
[...]

It does help, thanks. But that leads to me to two further questions -

1) So the router plugs into their cable modem, not directly into the wall
point?

2) Do you know which brands allow MAC spoofing? I have a Netgear ADSL router
and have not noticed such a feature on mine. If the router spoofs the
registered PC MAC address does the PC MAC address need to be altered or can
two identical MAC addresses exist within the same network?

TIA again,
Tim.

Old January 24th 04, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Use.Netuser.de

: "Tiny Tim" wrote
:
[...]

Cable Modem NAT Router/Switch PC LAN Card (or multiple LAN cards on
other PC's).
There are ADSL Modem/Router combo units but I've never heard of a CM/Router
combo unit.

: 2) Do you know which brands allow MAC spoofing? I have a Netgear ADSL router
: and have not noticed such a feature on mine. If the router spoofs the
: registered PC MAC address does the PC MAC address need to be altered or can
: two identical MAC addresses exist within the same network?

I use a Netgear Router on NTL. Initially NTL allowed only one MAC address but
have heard they now allow 2 MAC addresses. This means there is no need to wait
4 hours to register a MAC when you switch your laptop and desktop using the
Cable Modem. During the Router set-up you are asked is you wish to spoof the
MAC of the connected LAN card. I personally spoofed my LAN MAC so that if the
router failed I could simply remove it and connect my PC directly to the CM.
Obviously if NTL now offer 2 MAC's this is no longer a concern.
There is no need to alter the PC MAC address as the router merely spoof's the
MAC towards the ISP and has knowledge of the MAC of the PC LAN card and of
course it's own true MAC.

HTH

Old January 24th 04, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Use.Netuser.de wrote:
Andy Lord wrote:
"Tiny Tim" wrote

snip
[...]

That's great. Thanks. Seems everything should be straightforward enough. I
wonder if MAC spoofing is a feature of cable DSL routers deliberately to
overcome these little hurdles, whereas there is no need to spoof on an ADSL
line.

Cheers :-)