switching to broadband

Old January 24th 04, 07:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick

Default switching to broadband

Apologies for asking what is probably obvious but I'm just about to get
broadband. I want to connect 2 pc's to it. Do I need a modem as well as
router? I don't really want the 2 pc's networked together (i.e. I don't want
each pc to be able to access the other) - is that possible? And one pc has
an Ethernet card in it, the other doesn't. Will I need to fit one even
though i don't want the 2 pc's connected?
Considering Pipex or PlusNet - any particular pros and cons with either?
Thanks for the help

Old January 24th 04, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Mick wrote:
Apologies for asking what is probably obvious but I'm just about to get
broadband. I want to connect 2 pc's to it. Do I need a modem as well as
router? I don't really want the 2 pc's networked together (i.e. I don't want
each pc to be able to access the other) - is that possible? And one pc has
an Ethernet card in it, the other doesn't. Will I need to fit one even
though i don't want the 2 pc's connected?

But, you do - to the internet.
A 4 port modem/router (search for ASR-8400 on http://www.ebuyer.com/)
an ethernet card, and a couple of cables should be it.
There will probably be change out of 60 quid.

You then need to turn off file and print sharing, and any other sorts
of sharing on the PCs.
Old January 24th 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Userer

"Mick" wrote in message
Apologies for asking what is probably obvious but I'm just about to get
broadband. I want to connect 2 pc's to it. Do I need a modem as well as
router? I don't really want the 2 pc's networked together (i.e. I don't

want
each pc to be able to access the other) - is that possible? And one pc has
an Ethernet card in it, the other doesn't. Will I need to fit one even
though i don't want the 2 pc's connected?
Considering Pipex or PlusNet - any particular pros and cons with either?
Thanks for the help

Definately go with plusnet! you can even use me as your referer! : badsell

:-)

Old January 24th 04, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick

"Mick" wrote in message
Apologies for asking what is probably obvious but I'm just about to get
broadband. I want to connect 2 pc's to it. Do I need a modem as well as
router? I don't really want the 2 pc's networked together (i.e. I don't

want
each pc to be able to access the other) - is that possible? And one pc has
an Ethernet card in it, the other doesn't. Will I need to fit one even
though i don't want the 2 pc's connected?
Considering Pipex or PlusNet - any particular pros and cons with either?
Thanks for the help

I still need a modem AND a router though?

Old January 24th 04, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:15:24 -0000, "Mick"
wrote:

I still need a modem AND a router though?

not if its a combined adsl modem/router which is what ISPs would ship
if you bought from them. A Zoom X3 for example is a 1 port
modem/router that can be tied into an existing LAN, or there are 4
port equivalents that hook eveything up, and wireless variants too.
You only *need* one box, providing you pick the right one.

Phil
Old January 24th 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

"Mick" wrote in message
Apologies for asking what is probably obvious but I'm just about to get
broadband. I want to connect 2 pc's to it. Do I need a modem as well as
router? I don't really want the 2 pc's networked together (i.e. I don't

want
each pc to be able to access the other) - is that possible? And one pc has
an Ethernet card in it, the other doesn't. Will I need to fit one even
though i don't want the 2 pc's connected?
Considering Pipex or PlusNet - any particular pros and cons with either?
Thanks for the help

I still need a modem AND a router though?

There's only three ways to share broadband between more than one pc.

1) network them by using a router plugged to the modem.
2) network them by using Internet Connection sharing on one of the
PCs, the one with them modem on it.
3) swap the modem from one PC to the other.

No matter what, you ALWAYS need one modem, because you need that to
link to the BB.

My recommendation, for what its worth, is to use a router and network
the machines. Its terribly easy.
Old January 24th 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

wrote:

"Mick" wrote in message
[...]

Aren't you overlooking the use of a *combined* router and BB modem, all in
one box?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 24th 04, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

There's only three ways to share broadband between more than one pc.
1) network them by using a router plugged to the modem.
snip
No matter what, you ALWAYS need one modem, because you need that to
link to the BB.

You don`t need a seperate modem if its already built into the router
though.