Ports needed for ADSLGuide Speed test

Old January 24th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Ports needed for ADSLGuide Speed test

Trying to configure my modem/router with just the minimum required ports.

Everything I need now works, EXCEPT the upload speed test in the ADSLGuide speed test utility.

http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp

What port do I need to unblock ? (FTP transfers to and from my web space work fine)

Old January 24th 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alexander Mann

Mark Carver wrote:

Trying to configure my modem/router with just the minimum required ports.

Everything I need now works, EXCEPT the upload speed test in the ADSLGuide speed test utility.

http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp

What port do I need to unblock ? (FTP transfers to and from my web space work fine)

8080 (TCP) for downstream test
8081 (TCP) for upstream test

alex
Old January 24th 04, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Alexander Mann wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

Trying to configure my modem/router with just the minimum required
ports.

Everything I need now works, EXCEPT the upload speed test in the
ADSLGuide speed test utility.

http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp

What port do I need to unblock ? (FTP transfers to and from my web
space work fine)

8080 (TCP) for downstream test
8081 (TCP) for upstream test

Ah, 8081 entered, and now working. Many thanks.

Old January 24th 04, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Everything I need now works, EXCEPT the upload speed test in the
ADSLGuide speed test utility.
http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp
What port do I need to unblock ? (FTP transfers to and from my web
space work fine)

Mine worked without any port unblocking afaik

I`m currently getting:

Downstream 446 Kbps (55.8 KB/sec) 481 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 219 Kbps (27.4 KB/sec) 236 Kbps (inc. overheads)

But bear in mind i`m still doing 5k/sec upstream and there will be some
downstream traffic amongst there too (I didn`t bother stopping anything
to run the test)

Just to be complete and accurate, I use Opera 7.23 and have these ports
open in my router for other reasons:

# protocol service port fwd_to:

1 TCP & UDP ftp 21 192.168.8.2
2 TCP & UDP ftp 20 192.168.8.2
3 TCP & UDP vnc 5900 192.168.8.2
4 TCP & UDP mirc 1025 ~ 1030 192.168.8.2
5 TCP & UDP waste 1337 192.168.8.2
6 TCP & UDP bittorrent 6881 ~ 6889 192.168.8.2

Old January 24th 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:48:18 -0000, Colin Wilson
wrote:

[...]

According to grc every single port on my machine is in stealth mode
but I just ran the speed test and the results cam back OK as:
Downstream 444 Kbps (55.5 KB/sec) 479 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 263 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Am I missing something with my security? Why do some users need to
unblock 8080 and 8081?

DCB

Old January 24th 04, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Am I missing something with my security? Why do some users need to
unblock 8080 and 8081?

Not a clue - I use ZA Pro and i`m behind a router, so I don`t think i`m
particularly lax over security... what browser were you using ?

Old January 24th 04, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alexander Mann

David Bradley wrote:

Am I missing something with my security? Why do some users need to
unblock 8080 and 8081?

You can block incoming connections[1] without blocking any outgoing
connections[2]. I guess this is what you have (or some variation on it).

[1] examples:
Trojans connection to your computer
People port scanning you

These people are trying to make connections with your computer --
they're being initiated from the Internet side of your connection to the
local side. Thus they are known as incoming. Not all are bad, though.
For example, if a webserver refused all incoming connections you'd
never be able to ask it for a webpage.

[2] examples:
You connecting to a website
You sending email

These connections are from the local side of your connection to the
Internet side. Thus they are known as outgoing connections.

Firewalls allow you to block things in either direction so it's possible
to block incoming but not outgoing connections.
Old January 25th 04, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Thomas

wrote:

[...]

All ports stealthed and had the following result from ADSLGuide:

Downstream 475 Kbps (59.4 KB/sec) 513 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 245 Kbps (30.6 KB/sec) 264 Kbps (inc. overheads)

I had to tell Outpost to allow Mozilla Firebird outbound TCP on port
8081 (8080 being the default HTTP proxy rule anyway), but I've not had
to unblock anything on the router. This makes sense to me since I
"asked" for the packets on ports 8080 and 8081.
--
Steve Thomas