Have i bought the right router - DG814?

Old January 24th 04, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Default Have i bought the right router - DG814?

Just bought a netgear DG814

All works fine on pipex.

One problem i cant send/receive files etc with msn messenger. (i've read
the reasons why - ports)

A friend of mine who has a different router said i need to enable plug and
play in
the router and it will work, unfortunately i dont have this option on the
dg814

I dont want to place my pc in the dmz either as its defeating the obect of
having the NAT router

Should i have bought another model instead?. The DG834?, will this model
work with ms messenger?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Phil

ps does anyone know how i find out which firmware the dg814 is running?

Old January 25th 04, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

"Phil" wrote in message
Just bought a netgear DG814

All works fine on pipex.

One problem i cant send/receive files etc with msn messenger. (i've read
the reasons why - ports)

A friend of mine who has a different router said i need to enable plug and
play in
the router and it will work, unfortunately i dont have this option on

the
dg814

I think you mean UPnP.

You don't say what firmware you have on the DG814, but I imagine it must be
fairly early if this option is not present. UPnP wasn't available on
earlier versions of the firmware, but was added later. You can get this
facility by simply downloading a later version, and upgrading.

I'm using V4.9 (final), written 2 Dec 2003, and this definitely seems the
best so far to me (I've used most previous versions, including betas).

Rob

Old January 25th 04, 01:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"Rob" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

can u send files and use voice, webcam etc with ms messenger?

Old February 2nd 04, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

"Rob" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message

can u send files and use voice, webcam etc with ms messenger?

Yes I can.

I think the latest version of MSN Messenger doesn't need UPnP (not 100%

sure
on that though), I just haven't bothered to disable UPnP and try without

it.

I believe there may also be some incompatabilities between different
versions of Messenger.

err how?
My understanding is msn/voice/webcam wont work with NAT routers??

Old February 4th 04, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

"Mike" wrote in message

err how?
My understanding is msn/voice/webcam wont work with NAT routers??

These 2 newsgroups may be of use to you:

microsoft.public.msn.messenger
microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger

Rob