wireless access point vs wireless router?

Old January 25th 04, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www

Default wireless access point vs wireless router?

i want to share my adsl connection and here's the hardware i got...

usb adsl modem (connected to the laptop)
minihub (4-port)
laptop with build-in NIC (OS will be either w2k or xp running ICS)

another laptop with wireless pcmcia
desktop with wired NIC

so which wireless device do i get? access point or router? both wireless
device only has 1-port ethernet, hence i need to use a minihub.

btw, i cant afford any other hardware. so those are the only hardware i can
play with.

Old January 25th 04, 01:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clueless

"www" wrote in message
|| i want to share my adsl connection and here's the hardware i got...
||| usb adsl modem (connected to the laptop)
||| minihub (4-port)
||| laptop with build-in NIC (OS will be either w2k or xp running ICS)
||| another laptop with wireless pcmcia
||| desktop with wired NIC
|| so which wireless device do i get? access point or router? both
|| wireless device only has 1-port ethernet, hence i need to use a
|| minihub.
|| btw, i cant afford any other hardware. so those are the only
|| hardware i can play with.

In general terms how much money do you have to play with? If around £60 take
a look on ebuyer for a combined adsl modem router wireless access point. You
can sell the usb adsl modem on ebay or to someone taking a new install.

S. Althaf

Old January 25th 04, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:37:30 -0000, "www" wrote:

i want to share my adsl connection and here's the hardware i got...

usb adsl modem (connected to the laptop)
minihub (4-port)
laptop with build-in NIC (OS will be either w2k or xp running ICS)

another laptop with wireless pcmcia
desktop with wired NIC

so which wireless device do i get? access point or router? both wireless
device only has 1-port ethernet, hence i need to use a minihub.

btw, i cant afford any other hardware. so those are the only hardware i can
play with.

if I understand correclty your minimum is another wireless pcmcia for
the laptop iwth the adsl modem. Use ICS to share the modem connection
and bridge the wired and wireless network connections then have an ad
hoc (peer to peer) wireless network.

Phil
Old January 25th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Ad hoc works great for me. Perfect. Using Belkin cards on 2 x desktop plus 1
x laptop. No router, no access point.