Bulldog PrimeTime 1000

Old January 25th 04, 03:16 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default Bulldog PrimeTime 1000

"matthew" wrote in message

I'm trying Adsl for the first time and I'm interested in the above
package from Bulldog.

If anyone has any experience with this company or package and is able
to provide either positive or negative comments, I 'd be grateful to
hear them.

http://www.bulldogdsl.com/residentia...Time/p1000.asp

I have had their Primetime 2000 service for a few months. As its only
5/month more expensive than the Primetime 1000 one I figured it was worth
it..

What part of the country are you in?

Bulldog supply their service using several different methods for backhaul -
depending on where you are.

If you are in the Central London area you get put on Bulldog's own LLU
network with which you get 400K upload. (instead of 256K that the rest of us
have) and these customers seem to have almost no problems as Bulldog
directly control 100% of that equipment.

If you are elsewhere in the country, the Primetime service is normally
provided over a "DataStream" connection - now most people using these also
have no problems but a few do. These problems however, tend to be
"localised" to a particular exchange until Bulldog upgrade their link to
that exchnage (which they do appear to actively do)

Personally, I am in South West London and tend to get good speeds most of
the time. During the day, when its supposed to be capped to about 60k
(512K), I can get up to 90/100k and in the evenings get 200k + when I am
downloading.

However, if you do plan to download 24/7 and are not in Central London
Bulldog may not be for you though

You may also want to look at
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=bulldog - unfortunately,
many of the comments there are negative but thats mainly due to the fact
that those who are happy with the service don't post. It might be difficult
to believe when you read there but the number of "complaints" are a lot less
than there were a few months ago as Bulldog gradually resolve individual
issues.

I think Bulldog have previously said that over 95%+ of their customers have
no problems (and I imagine the figure is higher how as problems are
resolved). It is a 12 month contract but if you have problems and they are
not resolved Bulldog appear to be willing to release you early with no
penalty.

If you do decide to use Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral code when
signing up - just quote bdol 87431 when signing up online or by telephone.

Regards
Sunil

Old January 26th 04, 09:13 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Ken Wheatley

"matthew" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:16:41 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

..

I'm in SW London too, and when I checked on their site it looks as if
I can get the 400 upstream.

I think I'll go ahead with the 1000. That's enough for me and I'm so
used to 56k that it'll be a massive improvement.

Thanks for that comprehensive answer. It's just the sort of thing I
was looking for. There's a lot of new companies out there and it's
difficult to know what you're getting.

Them having their own equipment at the exchange has to be a bonus, as
you say.

I'll probably go ahead with it in the next week or so and I'll
certainly be happy to quote you as referrer.

I won't even attempt to add much to Sunil's comprehensive answer other than
to say I have the 1000 and it seems fine. Measurements of speed are
excellent and there have been no reliability problems. Sometimes it can be
very slow to open a site, but whether that's slow DNS at Bulldog or just
congestion elsewhere I don't know.

Old January 26th 04, 11:15 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

wrote:

If you do decide to use Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral code

when
signing up - just quote bdol 87431 when signing up online or by

telephone.

I'm in SW London too, and when I checked on their site it looks as if
I can get the 400 upstream.

Lucky you.. this means you are unlikely to have any problems - in fact I
think Bulldog have so much bandwith to those exchanges even contention
hardly exists at all.!

I think I'll go ahead with the 1000. That's enough for me and I'm so
used to 56k that it'll be a massive improvement.

Thanks for that comprehensive answer. It's just the sort of thing I
was looking for. There's a lot of new companies out there and it's
difficult to know what you're getting.

No problem, glad to help.

Them having their own equipment at the exchange has to be a bonus, as
you say.

It is - I just wish I was on one - they havent quite got to me (next
exchange from Battersea which is LLU)

It means they have a lot more control on the quality of service that you
receive..

I'll probably go ahead with it in the next week or so and I'll
certainly be happy to quote you as referrer.

Thanks

Regards
Sunil