Broadband IP Address

Old January 26th 04, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stan Engel

Default Broadband IP Address

My broadband modem/router allows for 4 connections but my ISP/Broadband
provider only allows me to connect ONE PC at any one time. If I were to
connect a second PC to my modem, how would the ISP check for this?

Old January 26th 04, 03:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eusty

It is technically possible but VERY hard for them to do so. It woul
involve checking the source IDs of you packets

So in reality they can't very easily, so don't worry!

--== Providing access to UK Broadband ISP Newsgroups ==--
Old January 30th 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 03:48:51 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

eusty wrote:

It is technically possible but VERY hard for them to do so. It would
involve checking the source IDs of you packets.

In fact the router will be performing a trick called Network Address
Translation. This ensures that the source IDs (i.e. the IP addresses of
each of your computers) and not even visible to the ISP.

What the ISP is really saying it that they will only allocate one IP
address to your connection - if you wanted to connect more than one
computer but did not want to use NAT then this would be a problem. This
is not however a limitation with NAT since the router takes the IP
address supplied by the ISP for itself, and then allows any number of
computers on your own local network to be presented to the outside world
as one.

So in reality they can't very easily, so don't worry!!

That is true....

And if you ever need to ring up for support, don't fall for the old
"and how many PC's do you have connected sir?" routine

Old February 4th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

John Rumm wrote:
And if you ever need to ring up for support, don't fall for the old
"and how many PC's do you have connected sir?" routine

To which you answer "none, I have got a router!" ;-)

Followed shortly by, "Ah, I'm very sorry, sir, we don't support that configuration." click/

Chris
Old February 4th 04, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

wrote:

Followed shortly by, "Ah, I'm very sorry, sir, we don't support that configuration." click/

Followed by "that's the last time I use a toy ISP - moving to a real one
now"

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |
Old February 4th 04, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

John Rumm wrote:
Followed shortly by, "Ah, I'm very sorry, sir, we don't support that configuration." click/

Followed by "that's the last time I use a toy ISP - moving to a real one
now"

Exactly.
Chris