another newbie query

Old January 26th 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stef

Default another newbie query

I want my router in my spare room, where there are 2 pcs. my phone line main
connection is in a room downstairs. From that there is one phone in that
room, one in the other room downstairs and 2 in the bedrooms, all run from
plug in connectors. So do I need 5 splitters? (one for each phone and one
for the main connection). and can a double adapter be plugged into the phone
part of the splitter?
Thanks

Old January 26th 04, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cuzman

"Stef" wrote in message

" I want my router in my spare room, where there are 2 pcs. my phone line
main connection is in a room downstairs. From that there is one phone in
that room, one in the other room downstairs and 2 in the bedrooms, all run
from plug in connectors. So do I need 5 splitters? (one for each phone and
one for the main connection). and can a double adapter be plugged into the
phone part of the splitter? "

First you need to do look at the way your extensions run from the main
socket, and also how they run from each other. It may be that they are
hard-wired from one to the next, in which case there is less room for error.
It may be that the extension plugs into the socket, with the plug having one
or two phone sockets in addition to the extension lead that runs from it.
This difference will vary where you need to plug the splitters in.

If the next extension is hard-wired from the previous one, then follow
option A. If the extension utilises a plug (with a lead and a socket), then
follow option B:

1) Un-plug all of your phones and detatch all of the extension plugs (if
possible).

2) Look at your main socket.

a) If the next extension is hard-wired from the main socket, plug the
splitter into the socket where the phone would normally go. Plug the phone
into that splitter.

b) If the next extension runs from an adaptor, then plug it into the main
socket. Plug the splitter into where the phone would normally go. Plug the
phone into that splitter.

3) Follow the extension to where the next socket is.

a) If the next extension is hard-wired from the socket, plug a splitter
into it. Plug the phone into that splitter.

b) If the next extension runs from an adaptor, then plug it into the
socket. Plug the splitter into where the phone would normally go. Plug the
phone into that splitter.

4) Repeat part 3 for the next two phones. You will need four splitters in
total to complete the job (one for each phone).

5) Plug your router into the (un-used) applicable socket on one of the
splitters. Connect the network cable from each PCs network card to the
router.

Some lines can only take a maximum of three phones. If the phones don't
work after you do all of this, then you will need to remove one of them from
the equation.