Filters for unused sockets?

Old January 26th 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default Filters for unused sockets?

My domestic phone system has an used socket. Is a filter essential for
broadband given that the socket is never used?

Old January 26th 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

On 26/01/2004 Peter Crosland opined:-
My domestic phone system has an used socket. Is a filter essential for
broadband given that the socket is never used?

No! You only need a filter in the sockets used by either a phone, or
your modem, though some would argue with the latter need.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

Old January 26th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
On 26/01/2004 Peter Crosland opined:-
My domestic phone system has an used socket. Is a filter essential
for broadband given that the socket is never used?

No! You only need a filter in the sockets used by either a phone, or
your modem, though some would argue with the latter need.

Sorry I'm nit picking but it's any equipment which is plugged into a
socket/connected to line (modems, faxes, Satellite boxes, burglar alarms,
extension bells {yes extension bells}, CLI boxes & everything else which
I've forgotten, not just phones)..

As I said nit picking but you'd be suprised (well maybe not) at the number
of people who do get it wrong....

Old January 26th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
On 26/01/2004 Peter Crosland opined:-
My domestic phone system has an used socket. Is a filter essential for
broadband given that the socket is never used?

No! You only need a filter in the sockets used by either a phone, or
your modem, though some would argue with the latter need.

Though if you've got a memory like mine, I'd suggest sticking a little
note over the socket to remind you that it will need a filter should
you want to plug any phone-like device into it at some point in the
future.

--
Tim Clark
Old January 26th 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

As I said nit picking but you'd be suprised (well maybe not) at the number
of people who do get it wrong....

A very valid point and I should have made clear that no equipment is or will
be connected to the socket in question. Obviously if it has to be used then
another filter will be required. I can well believe you!

Old January 27th 04, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Peter wrote:
"Peter Crosland" wrote:

As I said nit picking but you'd be suprised (well maybe not) at
the number of people who do get it wrong....

A very valid point and I should have made clear that no equipment
is or will be connected to the socket in question. Obviously if it
has to be used then another filter will be required. I can well
believe you!

Aren't there inline filters which one could fit near the master
socket and which would stop the RF muck getting to the rest of the
house?

Yes, but often the PC isn't where the master socket is.

Met up with one a days or so ago, where the master was hidden in a void,
which the stairs went around & only access was via a 3x3 ft shaft. Don't
think they'd be enough room for a PC in there let alone a person to use
it...