Belkin and WEP encryption (I BET YOU CANNOT RESOLVE THIS ONE)

Old January 26th 04, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TD Key

Default Belkin and WEP encryption (I BET YOU CANNOT RESOLVE THIS ONE)

We've been having the same problem with at least 7 different routers
(f5d7130uk-4)

We haven't found the way of making the WEP encryption to work using
the pass phrase to work. We have tried every possible way I think
with every single router we have. We have been in touch with Belkin
and they keep claiming that it should work, however in their last
email they told us that they only way the WEP would work, would be to
generate the hex by entering the passphrase and then we'd have to use
those hex on the machines, which is not practical.

If we select WEP 64 or 128 automatic, then it is fine, but again, you
have to use the hex on the client machines. If WEP is not enabled the
routers are ok, they work perfectly well, no problem, you get your IP
from the router, browse the net, share resources accross your
network... then you put the WEP and input the passphrase on client,
and bang, no IP is issued (even though your connection to the router
saids it is excellent and it is connected!!!), but the IP you get is
one of the Windows internals.

So, for us, the only way to make it work is to enable WEP, and use the
hex on the clients (no practical but works). Belkin hasn't been able
to come up with an answer to this and they say that they've never got
this problem before, so maybe one of you will know more about their
products and will give us some light here?

Cheers,
Old January 26th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"TD Key" wrote in message
om...
[...]

HI
I have a f5d6130 access point and wep using the passphrase works fine with
Pheenet and dlink clients.

Does the passphrase in hex match between router and client?

Ian

Old January 26th 04, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

"Ian" wrote in message

"TD Key" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I THINK that what this guy wants is to be able to set the encryption key in
the router, and then get the router to tell its clients what that encryption
key is. As far as I know, NO router will do this (otherwise what's the point
of having encryption? - any passing Wireless application would get the
key!). The only way to do this properly is at install time - when you
install the WAP in the client and tell it what the encryption key is.

HTH

--

Replace the dots and remove nospam for valid email address

Old January 28th 04, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TD Key

Hi Guys,

They only way we can make it work is to set a passphrase which will
generate a hex key and use that key on the client machine.

Three different people had a go with this and all three of us ended up
with the same problem. Three people cannot be wrong. I found very
strange this too HTH but believe you me that we have tried everything
and even the Belkin support team haven't been able to give us a
solution.

Did I mentioned that after several resets to manufacture the router
block itself???

We have got other wireless routers around and they're working just
fine no problems at all. It is just those Belkin ones.

"Paul King" wrote in message ...
"Ian" wrote in message

om...

Old January 28th 04, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TD Key

Sorry HTH I didn't get your message right. I'll describe what we want
to do:

I go to my web interface and set a passphrase: say it is helloHTH and
that will give some hex code 2h3g4hg55hg6 ok? Then we want to go to
the client and connect to the router typing in helloHTH rather than
2h3g4hg55hg6.

At the moment with the belkins we have to 'type' the hex code in the
clients (2h3g4hg55hg6) if we 'type' the passphrase (helloHTH) then it
will say it is connected but won't get an IP address.

With all the other routers all we have to do is to go to the clients
and 'type' the passphrase to connect and therefore get the right IP.

Sorry if I didn't explain it right the first time. If you want any
further info please feel free to email me.

Cheers,

"Paul King" wrote in message ...
"Ian" wrote in message

om...

Old January 29th 04, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

"TD Key" wrote in message
om...
Sorry HTH I didn't get your message right. I'll describe what we want
to do:

I go to my web interface and set a passphrase: say it is helloHTH and
that will give some hex code 2h3g4hg55hg6 ok? Then we want to go to
the client and connect to the router typing in helloHTH rather than
2h3g4hg55hg6.

At the moment with the belkins we have to 'type' the hex code in the
clients (2h3g4hg55hg6) if we 'type' the passphrase (helloHTH) then it
will say it is connected but won't get an IP address.

With all the other routers all we have to do is to go to the clients
and 'type' the passphrase to connect and therefore get the right IP.

Sorry if I didn't explain it right the first time. If you want any
further info please feel free to email me.

Cheers,

Ah! I understand now! Well, I have no knowlege of Belkin kit, but with the
D-Link WAP I use, there is an option to type the encryption passphrase in
ASCII or HEX. I can only assume that this option does not exist on your
kit - for whatever reason.

But even so, what's wrong with typing in the passphrase in HEX?
--

Replace the dots and remove nospam for valid email address

Old January 30th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

(TD Key) wrote in message . com...
Sorry HTH I didn't get your message right. I'll describe what we want
to do:

I go to my web interface and set a passphrase: say it is helloHTH and
that will give some hex code 2h3g4hg55hg6 ok? Then we want to go to
the client and connect to the router typing in helloHTH rather than
2h3g4hg55hg6.

At the moment with the belkins we have to 'type' the hex code in the
clients (2h3g4hg55hg6) if we 'type' the passphrase (helloHTH) then it
will say it is connected but won't get an IP address.

On your network what is issuing the Ip addresses ? A central DHCP
server or the access point? What happens after you have entered the
pass phrase and you do an ipconfig /refresh all ?

With all the other routers all we have to do is to go to the clients
and 'type' the passphrase to connect and therefore get the right IP.

Personaly I think the problem could lay with the cleints. As I said
earlier I have the access point version and have no problems, BTW the
clients are not belkin ones either.

What happens if you set up the network in the client with the
passphrase save that, Then try to connect to it.?

Ian

Sorry if I didn't explain it right the first time. If you want any
further info please feel free to email me.

Cheers,

snip

Old January 30th 04, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TD Key

There's an option to use either one, but if you select the ASCII it
won't work at all. The client won't get an IP.

Personally I haven't got any problem using the HEX code, however we
have some 'homeworkers' spread across the country, with very poor IT
skills and it would be much better not to confuse them.

We decided to return all the Belkin routers, since we have proved that
they don't work they way they should and we're getting other brands.

Thanks, anyway.

TD Key

om...