Filter use?

Old January 26th 04, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

Default Filter use?

This is probably a stupid question but do I need to use filters on a ADSL
enabled line even when I have no broadband modem connected? I've found that
when the modem is connected even unused devices need filters but is it the
same even when the modem isn't being used?

This part of the question may be a bit off-topic but someone can probably
advise: I've just tried to use an analogue modem for the first time in a
year (haven't needed to use it for internet access). The modem isn't able to
detect a dial tone - through PC sound the modem seems to be making or
hearing all sorts of odd electronic noises (not the high pitched broadband
noises) but noise that sounds like sort of arty take on old style telephone
switchboards. When the modem is able to detect an incoming call the result
is pink and perky style sound but not quite as intelligible. Does all this
suggest that the modem is broken?

Gareth.

Old January 26th 04, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Gareth wrote:

This is probably a stupid question but do I need to use filters on a
ADSL enabled line even when I have no broadband modem connected? I've
found that when the modem is connected even unused devices need
filters but is it the same even when the modem isn't being used?

Not sure, but it won't do any harm to use a filter.

This part of the question may be a bit off-topic but someone can
probably advise: I've just tried to use an analogue modem for the
first time in a year (haven't needed to use it for internet access).
The modem isn't able to detect a dial tone - through PC sound the
modem seems to be making or hearing all sorts of odd electronic
noises (not the high pitched broadband noises) but noise that sounds
like sort of arty take on old style telephone switchboards. When the
modem is able to detect an incoming call the result is pink and perky
style sound but not quite as intelligible. Does all this suggest that
the modem is broken?

Gareth.

Is the modem connected via a filter? If not, it definitely needs to be
whenever ADSL is active - and possibly when it isn't.

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 26th 04, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Gareth wrote:
This is probably a stupid question but do I need to use filters on
a ADSL enabled line even when I have no broadband modem connected?
I've found that when the modem is connected even unused devices
need filters but is it the same even when the modem isn't being
used?

If the modem/router isn't powered up then you don't need filters.....

Old January 26th 04, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Ruben

In article , Gareth
writes
This is probably a stupid question but do I need to use filters on a ADSL
enabled line even when I have no broadband modem connected? I've found that
when the modem is connected even unused devices need filters but is it the
same even when the modem isn't being used?

I would say probably not: a friend had her line enabled for some days
before connecting filters or ADSL modem, and during that time had no
interference on her phone.
--
Tom