Is a single-port ADSL router the same as a single-port ethernet modem?

Old January 26th 04, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graeme Allen

Default Is a single-port ADSL router the same as a single-port ethernet modem?

I looking fo a solution to share my ADSL on my 2PC home network, but I
want to stop using Internet Connection Sharing and my USB modem. I
already have a 4-port ethernet hub.

Is a single-port ADSL router the same as a single-port ethernet modem?
If not what exactly is the difference?

Thanks,
Old January 26th 04, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Graeme Allen wrote:

I looking fo a solution to share my ADSL on my 2PC home network, but I
want to stop using Internet Connection Sharing and my USB modem. I
already have a 4-port ethernet hub.

Is a single-port ADSL router the same as a single-port ethernet modem?
If not what exactly is the difference?

Thanks,

The router would connect to the ADSL line, and to the hub rather than to one
of the computers - and would do the sharing, thus removing the need for ICS.
It shares the single ISP-provided IP address between all the computers on
your network, and does the necessary address translation - so that each
packet of internet data gets routed to the correct computer. It also means
that your computers are independent - and don't have to rely on a particular
one being up and running in order to get internet access.

[In your current arrangement, the "router" function is performed by the PC
to which the USB ADSL modem is connected].

I'm not sure that I've answered your question! I don't know a lot about
ethernet modems - but aren't they what you would use with a cable as opposed
to ADSL connection to connect a single computer?

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 26th 04, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NAZGUL

"Graeme Allen" wrote in message
m...
I looking fo a solution to share my ADSL on my 2PC home network, but I
want to stop using Internet Connection Sharing and my USB modem. I
already have a 4-port ethernet hub.

Is a single-port ADSL router the same as a single-port ethernet modem?
If not what exactly is the difference?

Thanks,

-------
A modem does the conecting, the router routes data to computers, so if you
have a modem/router combo it can conect and share, if you have a modem it
conects to a single machine, if you have a router it take the net feed and
shares it, though I would say that you can pick up a modem with 4 port
router for not much more than a single port one and in general usb is not
the best way to conect a device that is used often as most motherboards have
not got very good usb due to low cost boards being common.

Old January 26th 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Peter
writes
Is a single-port ADSL router the same as a single-port ethernet modem?
If not what exactly is the difference?

A router (unless configured to be wide open) hides your PC (and other
PCs netwrorked to it) from the internet.

A modem enables anyone on the internet to see your whole network -
unless you have all the security properly set up, the latest Micro$oft
patches applied, you name it...

One thing that I'd like to point out is that the wording on the boxes of
some of these products is a little misleading/confusing for the newbie.
When it says something like 'broadband/ADSL router with 4 port switch',
you might expect it to be able to connect to your broadband
connection..... and then give you a router and switch...... well it
does... but it itself can't connect directly without an additional
modem!! Unless of course you get a model that STATES 'modem' as well!?!

I've seen loads of people in PC world standing there scratching their
heads ;-)
followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old January 26th 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Mugwump
writes
I've seen loads of people in PC world standing there scratching their
heads ;-)

But they were the staff!

LOL!

But no, the staff were scratching their armpits and eating bananas.....

Old January 26th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graeme Allen

One thing that I'd like to point out is that the wording on the boxes of
some of these products is a little misleading/confusing for the newbie.
When it says something like 'broadband/ADSL router with 4 port switch',
you might expect it to be able to connect to your broadband
connection..... and then give you a router and switch...... well it
does... but it itself can't connect directly without an additional
modem!! Unless of course you get a model that STATES 'modem' as well!?!

I've seen loads of people in PC world standing there scratching their
heads ;-)

Thanks all for your answers.

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/ has a list of single port ADSL
routers, that all include modems, and a seperate list of single port
ethernet ADSL modems. Do all these do the same thing? Surely a
single port router does not route, as there is only one connection. Am
I right?

Anyway, I think I'll buy Dabs ADSL Conexant 4 Port
http://www.dabs.com/uk/shopbybrand/d...quicklinx=17P8
It should do what I want.
Old January 26th 04, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Graeme
Allen writes
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/ has a list of single port ADSL routers,
that all include modems, and a seperate list of single port ethernet
ADSL modems. Do all these do the same thing? Surely a single port
router does not route, as there is only one connection. Am I right?

No. Think of the router as a programmable filter!
A modem will just pass the data in/out regardless. If you then stick a
router 'in line' with the data between the modem and your PC or
Hub/switch (i.e. a single port) then the router can be made to do things
like only allow traffic through that its supposed to, or if you
configure it as a DHCP server, it can allocate IP addresses to all the
different devices on your network so you don't have to dedicate one
computer to be on all the time running internet connection sharing etc
etc....