NTL resegmentations causing ICS server to crash

Old January 26th 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Backham

Default NTL resegmentations causing ICS server to crash

I currently run Internet Connection Sharing on a Win2K machine as the
gateway to my NTL cable connection. It's all pretty reliable except
that whenever NTL resegment the network (resulting in a change of IP
address at my end), the server hangs. Has anyone else come across
this? I'm wondering if it's just something flakey about ICS. (I'm sort
of hoping that this is an excuse to buy a standalone router, but if
it's something simple that can be fixed in the ICS configuration, then
I couldn't really justify it).
--
Clive Backham

Note: As a spam avoidance measure, the email address in the header
is just a free one and doesn't get checked very often. If you want to email
me, my real address can be found at: www [dot] delback [dot] co [dot] uk
Old January 26th 04, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I currently run Internet Connection Sharing on a Win2K machine as the
gateway to my NTL cable connection. It's all pretty reliable except
that whenever NTL resegment the network (resulting in a change of IP
address at my end), the server hangs. Has anyone else come across
this?

I get something similar with one of two machines I use here at home -
both on 98SE and connected via a 4 port router.

ICS isn`t used on either, obviously.

Can`t figure it out :-}

The only thing I can think of (which still doesn`t seem right) is if its
caused by an app I use that bounces data around. This doesn`t ring true
though, because i`ve known it happen during online games where i`m
sure the app in question wasn`t active.

Old January 27th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Some routers don't notice that their public IP has 'disappeared' and never
seem to renew it. Have you checked with your router vendor if there's a new
firmware or if it's a know problem with your model router?

It works again as soon as my machine reboots... my wifes` machine carries
on unaffected.

Its a cheapo ebuyer 4 port model, so i`m not that bothered tbh... it does
the job as well as I could reasonably expect, and although there is newer
firmware available for an "equivalent" model i`m a bit of a luddite when
it comes to updating "mostly" working hardware, and only do it if
absolutely necessary - I can live with 99.9% uptime :-)

Old January 28th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Backham

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:18:11 GMT, phoenix
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:07:53 GMT, Clive Backham wrote:

I currently run Internet Connection Sharing on a Win2K machine as the
gateway to my NTL cable connection. It's all pretty reliable except
that whenever NTL resegment the network (resulting in a change of IP
address at my end), the server hangs. Has anyone else come across
this? I'm wondering if it's just something flakey about ICS. (I'm sort
of hoping that this is an excuse to buy a standalone router, but if
it's something simple that can be fixed in the ICS configuration, then
I couldn't really justify it).

It shouldn't make any difference. If you're getting a new IP from the NTL
DHCP servers then you NTL connected NIC should pick that up without
problems as it's set for dynamic IP,

Right. That's what I would have expected.

unless...... do you have any firewall
installed?

Yes, Kerio 2.1.4

If you do are you letting the DHCP servers through?

Yes.

I have no problems whatsoever getting lease renewals; it's only if
there's a resegmentation and the IP address changes that the ICS
server dies.