Share broadband Wireless - What do I need?

Old January 26th 04, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andre

Default Share broadband Wireless - What do I need?

I am thinking of sharing Tiscali connection 3x 15.99 a month, this
come with a free modem. Can I use this modem to share the connection
over a wireless network? Or will I need to buy a special router with
modem? What else do I need? I want a cheap price, but want wireless
where you don't need to keep one computer switched on. Please advise
what I need... if you need a separate modem, then it is not
advantageous to go with tiscali as ithought they work out cheap since
it comes with a free modem but if we dont use the modem then may not
be much use... Thanks for your help!
Old January 26th 04, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Andre" wrote in message
om...
I am thinking of sharing Tiscali connection 3x 15.99 a month, this
come with a free modem. Can I use this modem to share the connection
over a wireless network? Or will I need to buy a special router with
modem? What else do I need? I want a cheap price, but want wireless
where you don't need to keep one computer switched on. Please advise
what I need... if you need a separate modem, then it is not
advantageous to go with tiscali as ithought they work out cheap since
it comes with a free modem but if we dont use the modem then may not
be much use... Thanks for your help!

You can't do this with USB modems like the one Tiscali bundle so you would
have to buy your own.

You will need an ethernet modem/router - what sort of wireless speed/budget
were you looking at for the equipment?

I think prices would start at around 50/70 for wireless ADSL modem/routers.

Regards
Sunil

Old January 26th 04, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lighterboy

A Tiscali 3x Connection isnt actually Broadband.
Broadband is a 512k service. This is a 150k service.

A modem is 56k - this is 3x faster than a modem.

If you shared this out you might as well have stuck with a old fashioned
modems.
Why not jsut sped about 7 or 8 quid more a month and get a proper ADSL
connection at 512k plenty of bandwidth then to share about.

www.ndo.com - 24.99 a month
www.plus.net - 25.99 a month
www.bt.com/broadband - 27.99 a month
etc etc

Much better deal.

om...

Old January 27th 04, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

I think prices would start at around 50/70 for wireless ADSL
modem/routers.

More like 80. For 11mbs.

Old January 27th 04, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

I would recommend that you start with an "ad hoc" network i.e. peer-to-peer.
You just need two wireless cards (best to get the same brands). Works great
for me. You do need to make sure that your main PC (i.e. the one connected
to the Net) is switched on - but so what? You don't have to be signed-in -
so long as the PC is on.

Once you've got an ad hoc networked sorted then take your time and choose
your wireless router/modem. Another advantage is that you should be able to
pick-up a couple of 54Mbit cards for 60-70 (you'll need these cards anyway
no matter what configuration you go for).

Bobby

om...

Old January 27th 04, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Lighterboy wrote:

: A Tiscali 3x Connection isnt actually Broadband.
: Broadband is a 512k service. This is a 150k service.

This is speeedist! While everyone sneers at 150k for people who don't
do P2P (and who can do massive downloads at work) it is often plenty
fast enough! The Always-On and 3xmodem speeds make it FAR better than 56k!
Old January 27th 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 27 Jan 2004 09:52:42 GMT, Brian McIlwrath
wrote:

While everyone sneers at 150k

amusingly it is usually delivered over a 2M adsl link - check your
modem / router. Tell them you have 2M but elect to only use 150k of it
:-)

Phil
Old January 28th 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andre

So jsut to clarify I need two wireless cards to make this ad hoc
conenction. They will connect wirelessly and I can use the USB modem
supplied by Tiscali for 3x connection... that is it? And later on I
can buy a router / with buikt in modem and I can then have my network
with router and I can turn one computer off. Is this correct?

Thanks!

"Bobby" wrote in message ...
I would recommend that you start with an "ad hoc" network i.e. peer-to-peer.
You just need two wireless cards (best to get the same brands). Works great
for me. You do need to make sure that your main PC (i.e. the one connected
to the Net) is switched on - but so what? You don't have to be signed-in -
so long as the PC is on.

Once you've got an ad hoc networked sorted then take your time and choose
your wireless router/modem. Another advantage is that you should be able to
pick-up a couple of 54Mbit cards for 60-70 (you'll need these cards anyway
no matter what configuration you go for).

Bobby

om...

Old January 28th 04, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Absolutely correct. That is (almost) exactly what I've got - except I use a
BT USB ADSL modem. Works fine. You don't need any software either since
Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) will provide all the software
you need (and it comes with XP).

You do need to have your main PC switched on (but not logged-in). My kids
switch on my PC (without the monitor) and surf away on their PCs in their
bedrooms. Also provides file sharing and shared printing.

Bobby

om...

"Bobby" wrote in message

I would recommend that you start with an "ad hoc" network i.e.

peer-to-peer.
You just need two wireless cards (best to get the same brands). Works

great
for me. You do need to make sure that your main PC (i.e. the one

connected
to the Net) is switched on - but so what? You don't have to be

signed-in -
so long as the PC is on.

Once you've got an ad hoc networked sorted then take your time and

choose
your wireless router/modem. Another advantage is that you should be able

pick-up a couple of 54Mbit cards for 60-70 (you'll need these cards

anyway
no matter what configuration you go for).

Bobby

om...

Old January 31st 04, 08:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Bobby" wrote in message
I think prices would start at around 50/70 for wireless ADSL

modem/routers.

More like 80. For 11mbs.

Ebuyer have one for 56.39 including VAT - its Quickfind Code 55543

Ebuyer are selling it as an own brand product but its actually a Origo 7210
and you can get support via http://www.adsltech.com

Regards
Sunil