What do I need?

Old January 27th 04, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen.butler14

Default What do I need?

Hello,

I am thinking of setting up a broadband account and was wondering what
equipment I needed? I have a PC upstairs and a laptop, and the only phone
socket is downstairs in my house. So I need a router/modem presumably, but
what cables? What is the difference between an RJ11 cable and an RJ45? And
will I need to put a network card in both the PC and the laptop? I am
thinking of using freedom2surf. Does anyone know if these are any good?

Thanks

Stephen Butler

Old January 27th 04, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
F F Skitty

"stephen.butler14" wrote in message
Hello,

I am thinking of setting up a broadband account and was wondering what
equipment I needed? I have a PC upstairs and a laptop, and the only phone
socket is downstairs in my house. So I need a router/modem presumably,

but
what cables?

What I did re cables - in a similar setup - was to put in a normal phone
extension going upstairs first: normal phone wires are dirt cheap and
available everywhere; I just made a note of which wire was connected to what
in BT's socket before I started - but you can easily buy ready-to-go
extensions with plug and socket attached.

This extension gave me a standard phone socket next to the computer. *Then*
I plugged in an adsl line splitter (maybe not the technical term?) - a small
plastic affair with two slightly different sockets on it - so that the
short-ish cable that came with the adsl modem plugged straight into the adsl
socket on that.

And, as it happens, the "normal" faxmodem is plugged into the "normal"
socket next to it with *it's* own wire, sharing the same phone line.

Old January 27th 04, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

What I did re cables - in a similar setup - was to put in a normal phone
extension going upstairs first: normal phone wires are dirt cheap and
available everywhere; I just made a note of which wire was connected to what
in BT's socket before I started - but you can easily buy ready-to-go
extensions with plug and socket attached.

This extension gave me a standard phone socket next to the computer. *Then*
I plugged in an adsl line splitter (maybe not the technical term?) - a small
plastic affair with two slightly different sockets on it - so that the
short-ish cable that came with the adsl modem plugged straight into the adsl
socket on that.

And, as it happens, the "normal" faxmodem is plugged into the "normal"
socket next to it with *it's* own wire, sharing the same phone line.

That would get the ADSL upstairs to the PC. You could then wirelessly
link the laptop and pc and share the connection.
There are plenty of threads on this here.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.