wireless router?

Old January 27th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stef

Default wireless router?

Is a wireless router/modem likely to be less reliable than the conventional
type - i.e. will it drop the connection more often?
Thanks

Old January 27th 04, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Stef wrote:

Is a wireless router/modem likely to be less reliable than the conventional
type - i.e. will it drop the connection more often?

Nope - the addition of wireless capability should have no effect on the
reliability of the ADSL connection.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old January 31st 04, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DI

"Martin²" wrote in message
Assuming you haven't got interference in your area on the 2.4Mgz frequency
the wireless connection will be
rock solid. However some people have problems with Netgear routers.
My Draytek Vigor 2600We hasn't missed a bit since May installation and
that's between two buildings 75m apart.
IMHO it's well worth the higher price.
Regards,
Martin

But is it right that wired would be faster? Since both pcs are in the one
room, what's the advantage of having wireless?

Old January 31st 04, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Di wrote:
But is it right that wired would be faster? Since both pcs are in the one
room, what's the advantage of having wireless?

The advantage in this case is the convenience of not having cables trailing
across your living room floor for people to trip over. (I'm assuming here
that one of your computers is a laptop). Yes, wired would be faster, but
you would only notice the difference when transferring large files between
local machines. Wireless ethernet is faster than ADSL, so you would notice
no difference in speed when using the internet.

Rod.