USB or PCI ADSL modem?

Old January 27th 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gus

Default USB or PCI ADSL modem?

USB modems usually required a Good powered hub/USB PCI Expansion card so an
extra 10-15 on top, as most motherboard USB ports don't provide enough
power for them.

PCI modems if using the connexant chipset have issues under XP as there
drivers where never fixed for it. Other chipsets can be better though under
XP, but if using win2k they have good drivers for it.

So knowing what I know now I'd buy a PCI modem over a USB. But if you have
the cash or can save that bit longer get a router, even a single port router
in the long run will give you a lot less hassle.

Old January 27th 04, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Gus" wrote in message
USB modems usually required a Good powered hub/USB PCI Expansion card so

an
extra 10-15 on top, as most motherboard USB ports don't provide enough
power for them.

PCI modems if using the connexant chipset have issues under XP as there
drivers where never fixed for it. Other chipsets can be better though

under
XP, but if using win2k they have good drivers for it.

Huh ? I'm using a conexant pci modem under xp and a USB version on a
thinkpad 600e also running xp no problems at all...

Old January 27th 04, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

USB modems usually required a Good powered hub/USB PCI Expansion card so
an
extra 10-15 on top, as most motherboard USB ports don't provide enough
power for them

Eh? Not mine. Standard (BT) USB modem. Works fine.

Old January 28th 04, 01:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nwsy

Gus wrote:
USB modems usually required a Good powered hub/USB PCI Expansion card
so an extra 10-15 on top, as most motherboard USB ports don't
provide enough power for them.

My stingray's fine, working next to a USB phone charger on one of those naff
20 mini-hubs. Has been for four years.

--
Somebody sneaked in here and committed a neatness!

http://hedgewitch.blogspot.com

Old January 28th 04, 02:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Main

Which is better to avoid slowing up the PC - USB or PCI ADSL modem?

Old January 28th 04, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nwsy

nwsy wrote:
Gus wrote:
USB modems usually required a Good powered hub/USB PCI Expansion card
so an extra 10-15 on top, as most motherboard USB ports don't
provide enough power for them.

My stingray's fine, working next to a USB phone charger on one of
those naff 20 mini-hubs. Has been for four years.

And more than four different motherboards, from a P1-233 upwards. I've found
that the problem doesn't so much lie with the Mobo than the PSU. Usually had
more than the standard 250w, so maybe that's why.

Old January 28th 04, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alien Zord

"Main" wrote in message
Which is better to avoid slowing up the PC - USB or PCI ADSL modem?

Conexant chipset PCI modems have the fastest ping times of any ADSL
interface device and I've had systems using them running for months without
dropping connection. Just make sure you install first class software
firewall as well.

Old January 28th 04, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

"Main" wrote in message
Which is better to avoid slowing up the PC - USB or PCI ADSL modem?

Don't be put off the USB options available by what seems like a minority of
complainers.
I went the USB route as a PCI modem was only available by mail-order and i
wanted a new modem straight away.
A cycle ride to the nearest PC World and 40 got me a Zoom ADSL USB modem
that's worked 100% without fail - that's six weeks and counting.
Easy install and my bandwidth monitor shows good throughput when maxed out.

Martin.

PS I use Win XP Pro (and am with Pipex too).

:-)