Netgear router? DG834G 54MB WiFi

Old January 28th 04, 07:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DI

Default Netgear router? DG834G 54MB WiFi

Just signed up for PlusNet ADSL and now need router etc. Have a normal
network card in on pc, nothing in the other. Prefer wireless if poss and
have been looking at the Netgear DG834G 54MB WiFi Complete kit. It has
Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G
Power adapter, Ethernet cable, Phone cable, ADSL phone line filter for
about £130. Is it a bargain?

Old January 28th 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

DI wrote:
Just signed up for PlusNet ADSL and now need router etc. Have a normal
network card in on pc, nothing in the other. Prefer wireless if poss
and have been looking at the Netgear DG834G 54MB WiFi Complete kit.
It has Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G
Power adapter, Ethernet cable, Phone cable, ADSL phone line filter
for about £130. Is it a bargain?

I got a DG834G (with all the bits as you describe) at the end of December
and it has worked fine for me since, with two wireless laptops and a wired
Xbox or third laptop attached. I got it from www.ebuyer.com for £115 + p&p.
I haven't looked at prices since I bought mine but back then £115 was a
bargain. £130 plainly isn't, unless there is some sort of outstanding
after-sales service.

I'm using 3Com wireless cards in the laptops because I like the xjack
retractable antenna design but they are a bit pricey. Ebuyer do their own
cards for £12+p&p if you're happy with 11b speeds. I think their 11g cards
were about £30ish?

Regarding the DG834G, many have warned against performing the firmware
upgrade, as some boxes have been rendered useless, but I upgraded mine
within a couple of hours of getting the box - via wired connection as
instructed! - and everything went swimmingly :-)

--
Email address is munged. Please reply to newsgroup.

Old January 28th 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roy MacDonald

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
DI wrote:
Just signed up for PlusNet ADSL and now need router etc. Have a normal
network card in on pc, nothing in the other. Prefer wireless if poss
and have been looking at the Netgear DG834G 54MB WiFi Complete kit.
It has Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G
Power adapter, Ethernet cable, Phone cable, ADSL phone line filter
for about £130. Is it a bargain?

Hi

I got mine from micro warehouse.co.uk yesterday for £111.61 inc VAT