Optic fiber in UK

Old January 28th 04, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Armando

Default Optic fiber in UK

I'm italian. Apologize for my english.

I have some questions for you:
1) Which are the optic fiber provider in UK (specially in London)?
2) Are provider for HFC or FTTH?
3) Who offers Video on demand?

Please, show me some related internet site.

Thanks

--
Per rispondere leva ''FOTTUTISPAMMER'' e ''.invalid'' dall'indirizzo.

Old January 28th 04, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Networkguy

I'm italian. Apologize for my english.

I have some questions for you:
1) Which are the optic fiber provider in UK (specially in London)?
2) Are provider for HFC or FTTH?
3) Who offers Video on demand?

You will need to explain what you are trying to do.

Fibre for example can be provided by many companies but to do what? Connect
2 offices? Connect to the internet? Something else?

Old January 29th 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Armando

Default R: Optic fiber in UK

Thanks.

Rick Marks wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:06:57 GMT, "Armando"
wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

No problem.
Are you sure there is no ftth network? I readed ''London is full
cabled by optic fiber'' on an italian newspaper.

There's a great deal of metro fibre for _business_, of course. London
is one of the best supplied cities for metro services in the world.

e.g.

http://www.exponential-e.com/network...etworkmap.html
http://www.fibernet.co.uk/downloads/...donnetwork.pdf
http://www.neosnetworks.co.uk/maps/n...metro_map.html
http://www.interoute.com/networks_metro.html#

These companies typically use access tails from BT or build out their
own where demand justifies the cost.

But there's no general FttH at all. Few operators can yet make any
kind of business case for doing do. There may be remnants of old
trials and the like but no commercial services.

The two main cable TV companies use HFC of course, with fibre-nodes.
So the customer broadband connection is coax. Their voice telephony
service uses twisted pair ("siamese" cable).

As to your other questions in this thread:

No one is offering VoIP over FTTH (i.e. no UK-copies of the FastWeb/B2
model).
And as far as I know no one in the UK offers a consumer 10Mbits
Internet service over copper or fibre to the home. (I wish!)

--
Per rispondere leva ''FOTTUTISPAMMER'' e ''.invalid'' dall'indirizzo.

Old January 30th 04, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

Default R: Optic fibber in UK

There is IMO one private home deployment of a FTTH installation in the UK
- the Greenwich Millennium Village housing scheme.

Old January 30th 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

BT are the provider - not available to the 'general public and only in
certain apartments in the blocks.

I can't recall what we installed as it was about five years ago, but it
wasn't a commercially released product/system due to the timescales so don't
think for a minute you'll ever see it available anywhere else. It was more
akin to a fit out of a house at the Ideal Home exhibition, except with real
tenants.

On 30/1/04 7:36 pm, in article ,
"Rick Marks" wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:44:24 +0000, Graham in Melton
wrote:

There is IMO one private home deployment of a FTTH installation in the UK
- the Greenwich Millennium Village housing scheme.

Interesting - any idea who the service provider is and what is
offered?

Old January 31st 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Graham in Melton" wrote in message
There is IMO one private home deployment of a FTTH installation in the UK
- the Greenwich Millennium Village housing scheme.

Dolphin Square was also wired up with fibre/FTTH by NTL a few years ago
(when they still had money).

I think the system is still running and offers 'Ethernet' speeds of up to
10Mbps (maybe 100Mbps) - it was originally supposed to be a trial prior to
widespread deployment but well NTL have had "financial" issues!

Regards
Sunil