Getting a new phone line for BB

Old January 28th 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Getting a new phone line for BB

Hello,

Before I get too far into looking for ISDN I thought I'd check the old
broadband checker again. If I stick my postcode in, which is roughly just
my street, apparantly I might be able to get up to 2Mbit. Put my phone
number in and now I'm too far away and can have nothing.

How can both systems be so different - is the postcode checker just complete
tosh? What are my chances of getting a new line which is BB capable? There
was a post on here a few days ago saying that BT now have an official
simultaneous order product were you order a new line specifically for BB and
put an ISP order through. If the line fails afterwards then you don't pay a
thing.

Thanks.

Dave.

Old January 28th 04, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Dave" wrote in message
Hello,

Before I get too far into looking for ISDN I thought I'd check the old
broadband checker again. If I stick my postcode in, which is roughly just
my street, apparantly I might be able to get up to 2Mbit. Put my phone
number in and now I'm too far away and can have nothing.

How can both systems be so different - is the postcode checker just

complete
tosh? What are my chances of getting a new line which is BB capable?

There
was a post on here a few days ago saying that BT now have an official
simultaneous order product were you order a new line specifically for BB

and
put an ISP order through. If the line fails afterwards then you don't pay

thing.

Basically, the postcode checker is complete tosh. It will check a number of
locations within that postcode but not necessarily all of them will be able
to get broadband. The best way to check is the phone number checker. Its a
bummer that yours has come up with a negative result. Its not how far you
are from the exchange which is important, but the route your line takes to
the exchange. It could take 7 miles round the houses. I am in the same
situation as you. I have applied for broadband on several occasions, all
came back negative with it being too far from exchange.

Old January 30th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sirhandel

I ordered a new line from BT for BB and after the line test was told the
line to my house couldn't be guaranteed to support BB. I'm only 1.5km from
the exchange for chrissake surely the routing can't add more than another
km? Anyway I went ahead and it works fine at 512kb/s. So yes the postcode
checker is tosh and probably their line test too. I've had no problems at
all.

Old January 30th 04, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

sirhandel wrote:
I ordered a new line from BT for BB and after the line test was
told the line to my house couldn't be guaranteed to support BB.
I'm only 1.5km from the exchange for chrissake surely the routing
can't add more than another km?

You'd be suprised (well maybe you won't) . I know of one case where the
routing of the cable adds another 3km to the line length