Basic BB Router Setup Question

Old January 28th 04, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh.w.p

Default Basic BB Router Setup Question

Hi

I'm getting broadband (freedom2surf) activated on monday and have been sent
a email with some setting as below. The question is which settings need to
be used and where do they go, presumably into the router settings somwhere,
but where?

Protocol: PPP/VC (sometimes called: PPPoA or PPP over ATM)
VPI=0 VCI=38
Encapsulation method: VCMUX
Modulation method: G.DMT

Primary DNS Server: 194.106.56.6
Secondary DNS Server: 194.106.33.42

I have 3 networked PCs connected, one on WiFi XP and one on cable XP/W98 and
The 3rd W2000 is connected to an ASDL Router (origo AWR7214)

Any assistance appreciated

Rgds

Hugh
--
Reply to
Insert Presidents middle initial instead of his nickname

Old January 28th 04, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred bloggs

Hi Hugh,

You only mention a router, excuse me if "Grandmother" and "Suck eggs" spring
to mind, but you do have a modem/router don't you?
cheers, Mike

Old January 29th 04, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh.w.p

"Nat Stott" wrote in message
"hugh.w.p" wrote in message
Hi

I'm getting broadband (freedom2surf) activated on monday and have been

sent
a email with some setting as below. The question is which settings need

be used and where do they go, presumably into the router settings

somwhere,
but where?

Protocol: PPP/VC (sometimes called: PPPoA or PPP over ATM)
VPI=0 VCI=38
Encapsulation method: VCMUX
Modulation method: G.DMT

Primary DNS Server: 194.106.56.6
Secondary DNS Server: 194.106.33.42

I have 3 networked PCs connected, one on WiFi XP and one on cable XP/W98

and
The 3rd W2000 is connected to an ASDL Router (origo AWR7214)

Any assistance appreciated

It'll be bl**dy obvious once you have the router plugged in.

Usual steps.

1- Make sure your Pc network card is in the same address range as your
router, unless the router has DHCP (i.e get network settings automaticly)

2. Ping the default address of the router to see if it is connected e.g

Ping
10.0.0.2

3. Use your browser to configure the router through web interface by
browsing to 10.0.0.2 (or whatever address it is)

it has dhcp and its working on the PC connected to the router, So
presumably I don't need to do above.? However how do I get it on the other
2 pcs connected
to the 4 posrt asdl modem router/switch. As when I open IE on these PCs the
dial up comes up.

Any Ideas I'm sure it obvious to some people but without having done it
before I've got to start somewhere

Rgds

Hugh

Old January 29th 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh.w.p

WiFi asdl modem router. I thought I'd setup the phone filters and username
early and it suddenly started working on the
PC connected to the Router. The other poster said you need to set up an ip
address etc on presumable the other PCs anyidea where it goes as when I
click on IE the dial up still comes up, Presumably I have to enable the BB
over the network or, If its there, get IE to use it.

Any Ideas appreciated

Rgds

Hugh

Old January 29th 04, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nat Stott

it has dhcp and its working on the PC connected to the router, So
presumably I don't need to do above.? However how do I get it on the

other
2 pcs connected
to the 4 posrt asdl modem router/switch. As when I open IE on these PCs

the
dial up comes up.

If they are also using DHCP (Detect network setting automatically), then
they should already have a "gateway" setting in the network settings (TCP/IP
properties) pointing to the routers address.

If not, then set it manually, making sure as well that they are in the same
address range as the router.

You will also need to look at the internet settings in IE, connection tab,
"never dial a connection".