Problems with DG814

Old January 29th 04, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Default Problems with DG814

Anyone else had a problem where after a while the internet connection stops
working.

I can log into the router it shows iust still conencted but i cant surf etc.
i have to disconnect and reconnect to get it working again.

Im using the latest 4.9 firmware.

Anyone else had a problem?

Old January 29th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Welham

Tom

What were you doing just before the lost connection P2P?

When did this start? I.e. after an upgrade, only in bad weather?

Does it reconnect every time?

It is a total loss of connection or just surfing? i.e. can you ping ,
nslookup , traceroute etc?

Regards
Andrew

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
Old January 29th 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon Kay

Tom wrote:
Anyone else had a problem where after a while the internet connection stops
working.

I can log into the router it shows iust still conencted but i cant surf etc.
i have to disconnect and reconnect to get it working again.

Im using the latest 4.9 firmware.

Anyone else had a problem?

I had this problem when I first got my DG814 about 6 months ago. The
router would drop the PPPoA connection after being idle for a while and
needed a manual reconnect.
I was advised to change "Idle Timeout" in Basic Settings to 0 (zero).
This cured the problem.
HTH
Jon

Old January 29th 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Tom

What were you doing just before the lost connection P2P?

When did this start? I.e. after an upgrade, only in bad weather?

Does it reconnect every time?

It is a total loss of connection or just surfing? i.e. can you ping ,
nslookup , traceroute etc?

Regards
Andrew

Hi Andy

not using p2p. i just seems to stop responding, no real pattern to it.
i can ping the router etc fine but cant ping any internet ip's
only option is to login to the router disconnect and reconnect.

idle timeout is set to 0 so it isn't that

The only thing that has changed is i have upgraded to firmware
to the latest 4.9 recently im wondering if there is a prob 4.9 ?

Old January 29th 04, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:15:19 -0000, "Tom" wrote:

The only thing that has changed is i have upgraded to firmware
to the latest 4.9 recently im wondering if there is a prob 4.9 ?

Aha! I had this when I upgraded my USR router's firmware. Downgraded
to the previous release, and all hunky dory since then.

Old January 29th 04, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:15:19 -0000, "Tom" wrote:

The only thing that has changed is i have upgraded to firmware
to the latest 4.9 recently im wondering if there is a prob 4.9 ?

Aha! I had this when I upgraded my USR router's firmware. Downgraded
to the previous release, and all hunky dory since then.

Ive just had a look at the previous 4.8 release but apparently this has
lockups hence they released the 4.9!! lol

Old January 30th 04, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Whitcombe

"Tom" wrote in message
Anyone else had a problem where after a while the internet connection

stops
working.

I can log into the router it shows iust still conencted but i cant surf

etc.
i have to disconnect and reconnect to get it working again.

Im using the latest 4.9 firmware.

Anyone else had a problem?

Yes, all the time with all the firmwares, my record uptime is 10 days

Old January 30th 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Richard Whitcombe wrote:

: Yes, all the time with all the firmwares, my record uptime is 10 days

As a contrast:
None of the time with ANY of the recent firmwares. My *typical* uptime is
measured in weeks!
Old February 1st 04, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Welham

Sorry for the late reply

I had similar problems, setting the time out to 25 mins (or what ever
was the max) fixed it.

Did not use firmware 4.9 as mine died before v4.9 was available
(problems included very slow transfer rates and dropping the connection
very regularly, to the stage where it could not keep the connection for
more than a few seconds). These problems went away when I used my old
speedtouch modem.
I now have a dg834 works fine. But back to your problem. In my
experience dg814 has a habit of dropping the connection, some people say
the P2P activity causes that but I cant comment of that. I ran firmware
4.8 with time out set to max with no real problem until the router failed.

When you say drop do you mean no connection at all or no name resolving
(which can give similar symptoms) to the untrained person.

Hope this helps
Andrew

Old February 2nd 04, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Hope this helps
Andrew

Thanks Andrew.
I reset the router back to the manufacturers config then upgraded
to firmware 4.9 again and it appears to be working ok.
I must admit i do like the router itself, it has some v good options.