Diva 2440 ADSL Router

Old January 30th 04, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

Default Diva 2440 ADSL Router

Anyone any experience of this router? What's the firewall/stability etc
like? I'm considering either this or a draytek 2600

Thanks in advance.

Regards

tHatDudeUK

Old January 31st 04, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Steve" wrote in message If you're ever likely
to connect more than two machines, then go for the
Draytek Vigor 2600. I have the We variant. It's very stable and
reliable.

What if the Diva 4400 + a hub was cheaper than the draytek?

Old January 31st 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Steve" wrote in message
How much is peace of mind ?

One box solution.

A piece of kit more stable than the rock of Gibraltar ;-)

If money is a real issue, then the 2500 has to be the second choice.

Thanks for your advice.

Now I have to decide if I really need the

Old January 31st 04, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Steve" wrote in message
How much is peace of mind ?

One box solution.

A piece of kit more stable than the rock of Gibraltar ;-)

If money is a real issue, then the 2500 has to be the second choice.

Thanks for your help. Now I have to decide if I really need these features
of the 2600...

-Full Routing (non-NAT) Mode to allow for allocated public IP subnets
-Multi-NAT - allows one-to-one mapping of multiple public to private IP
addresses
-SNMP version 2 Protocol management/logging
-VPN features.

I defintely don't need the VPN features but not sure about the others (or if
i missed any of the differences.)

All I'll be doing is running a few PC's (internet sharing etc) off it and
hopefully a web/mail server. I'd also want to use some sort of VNC from my
main PC to my linux server.

Maybe this should be the subject for a new thread but how does getting a
domain go to my server work? Do I just run a web server and DNS server with
appropriate address and stick my primary and secondary DNS servers in the
control panel of my Domain registrar? (I always thought this was based on IP
addresses before.) Is there a good site on this topic?

I guess the main usable feature I'd be missing out on is the mapping public
IP's to private IP's business which I guess I don't really need with NAT and
UPnP?!

Regards