BT LInetest results

Old January 30th 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Default BT LInetest results

I have now had a letter from BT telling me they are unable to provide
service despite previously telling me my exchange could offer broadband
service.
Is there anything I can do about this and does anyone have any suggestions.
I notice BT offer something called midband but seem to want an awful lot of
money for a lesser service
I bet if NTL was available in my area they'd be able to offer a service

Help please!!!!

Old January 30th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

SOmehow I thought that might be the only answer
I hate BT and all they stand for!!!
"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message
Scott wrote:

I have now had a letter from BT telling me they are unable to provide
service despite previously telling me my exchange could offer broadband
service.
Is there anything I can do about this

Move house?

and does anyone have any suggestions.

Move house?

I notice BT offer something called midband but seem to want an awful lot

of
money for a lesser service

Yep, it' s not broadband, basically ISDN under a different name.

I bet if NTL was available in my area they'd be able to offer a service

I bet they would, but as they are not, you are stuffed. Move House....

Help please!!!!

Move House...

Old January 30th 04, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Hocking

"Scott" wrote in message
I have now had a letter from BT telling me they are unable to provide
service despite previously telling me my exchange could offer broadband
service.
Is there anything I can do about this and does anyone have any

suggestions.
I notice BT offer something called midband but seem to want an awful lot

of
money for a lesser service
I bet if NTL was available in my area they'd be able to offer a service

Help please!!!!

Have you tried the linechecker - what codes does it thow up?

I would thoroughly recommend Vispa as an ISP - they are excellent at getting
difficult connections passed by BT & will not be fobbed off my the automated
system rejecting orders (as most other ISPs do).

However, if your line noise is above 61db - either due to distance, poor
line etc then it is unlikely anyone will be able to help.

Mark

Old January 31st 04, 07:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Informer

"Scott" wrote in message
SOmehow I thought that might be the only answer
I hate BT and all they stand for!!!

I work for BT so after that comment I am not going to tell you what to do!

Old January 31st 04, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

"Mark Hocking" wrote in message
"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Think you mean attenuation

Mine is -65dB S/N 7dB and 576/288k works a treat.

My last house (last year) was -68dB, S/N 3.5 dB (both measured by my DSL-504
router) and also worked well, with some sync drops in the winter nights.

Old January 31st 04, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Informer

I apologise. IT was not a serious comment, however they are a little bit
frustrating as when you call them all I get are the stock answers which I am
sure they read from a screen

I just want to know if there is likley to be any further change to teh
situation with my exchange.
THe buggers wont even tell me where it is!!!

Old January 31st 04, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Informer

"Scott" wrote in message
I have now had a letter from BT telling me they are unable to provide
service despite previously telling me my exchange could offer broadband
service.

Did BT tell you why they couldn't provide service? Did they say you are too
far from the exchange? If they did many ISP's allow you to enter a manual
order with them which might prove fruitful. There are other reasons why
you can't have ADSL but you will need to ask them why and report back here.

Old January 31st 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

The letter simplyy said "The BT broadband product is not available on your
BT Telephone line" thats it
I havetried to call them but only get the stock "our line test shows that BB
is available on your exchange"

I have tried in vain to get to speak to someone who can give me more info
but have got nowhere

Old January 31st 04, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:13:46 -0000, "Scott"
wrote:

I have tried in vain to get to speak to someone who can give me more info
but have got nowhere

sh why aren't you talking to a different ISP. If BT Broadband the
retail ISP is not capable of meeting your needs then find an ISP that
is. Both of them buy the service off BT Wholesale so if the "front
office" is a problem use another.

Phil
Old January 31st 04, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Somehow I think I have a better chance of an audience with the Pope than
getting this info from BT.
Who at BT would be able to give me this kind of info.
THey have already sent me the BB equipment, maybe I could hold that to
ransom until they answer my questions

Scott wrote:

I have now had a letter from BT telling me they are unable to provide
service despite previously telling me my exchange could offer broadband
service.
Is there anything I can do about this

You really need to know the results of the psyical line test. If it's
borderline, you may be able to re-order a new line "for broadband", and
then cancel your old one... If you can find out the numbers, you may be
able to get an idea here, how borderline you are. (60.5db borderline,
61db no chance).