Netgear DG834 ADSL router - Firewall function not working?

Old January 31st 04, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Bowen

Default Netgear DG834 ADSL router - Firewall function not working?

Hi all,

Has anyone else with a Netgear DG834 ADSL router managed to get the inbound
firewall rules to have any effect? I have a static IP subnet, so I'm not
using NAT or DHCP, but no matter what rules I add, everything still gets let
through. I'm on firmware release 1.03.00, which I upgraded to from their
website as soon as I installed the router last week. In all other respects
it seems to be working fine.

Any suggestions welcome. I've mailed their support desk a couple of times on
this, but no response yet.

Adrian Bowen

Old January 31st 04, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wolf News

Slightly off topic

But I'm having great problems with this router. I've had two and neither off
them seem to work. They don't sync on the ADSL line. It seems strange that
both machines one direct from Netgear have the same problem. I'm using PIPEX
with a 1Mb line and am wondering if there is some incompatibility issue. If
I revert back to my old speedtouch 510 everything works perfectly. What is
your setup?? i.e. speed ISP etc

Thanks

Old January 31st 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Bowen

Hi,

I'm using it with a Nildram DSL pro 1000 account, which I have switched to
from my previous Pipex 512Mb line. I have had no problems at all with the
actual ADSL connection, the router (ordered from Amazon) autoconfigured
itself quite happily once I'd entered my username/password etc. The
connection seems to be stable, although I am not using it in anger yet, due
to the firewall issue.

Give my regards to Pipex

Adrian

Old February 2nd 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:02:15 -0000, "Wolf News"
wrote:

Slightly off topic

But I'm having great problems with this router. I've had two and neither off
them seem to work. They don't sync on the ADSL line. It seems strange that
both machines one direct from Netgear have the same problem. I'm using PIPEX
with a 1Mb line and am wondering if there is some incompatibility issue. If
I revert back to my old speedtouch 510 everything works perfectly. What is
your setup?? i.e. speed ISP etc

My 834 works perfectly with Pipex at 1MB.

Made its own connection on activation day and stayed live for 10 days,
until the Frenchmen who now run our power company let the batteries
run down and plunged half of Mid Sussex into darkness for nearly 3
hours.

I had to remake the connection manually after yet another power dip --
about a second this time.

Current connection 117 hours 25 minutes.

MK

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old February 2nd 04, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

wrote:

Slightly off topic

But I'm having great problems with this router. I've had two and neither off
them seem to work. They don't sync on the ADSL line. It seems strange that
both machines one direct from Netgear have the same problem. I'm using PIPEX
with a 1Mb line and am wondering if there is some incompatibility issue.

None whatsoever for me. I've got exactly the same set up as you and
my uptime is measured in weeks.....

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old February 2nd 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:00:27 -0000, "Adrian Bowen"
wrote:

Hi all,

Has anyone else with a Netgear DG834 ADSL router managed to get the inbound
firewall rules to have any effect? I have a static IP subnet, so I'm not
using NAT or DHCP, but no matter what rules I add, everything still gets let
through. I'm on firmware release 1.03.00, which I upgraded to from their
website as soon as I installed the router last week. In all other respects
it seems to be working fine.

Any suggestions welcome. I've mailed their support desk a couple of times on
this, but no response yet.

Adrian Bowen

Perhaps you should have read the firmware upgrade notes first.....

Known Issues, Version 1.03.00

1. Firmware upgrade over wireless may corrupt firmware.
2. Some MSN Messenger voice and whiteboard incompatibilities.
3. Firewall rules by Schedule is broken.

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old February 3rd 04, 07:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Bowen

Hi,

Yes, I did read that, but I assumed (possibly optimistically) that it meant
that you couldn't apply them according to a schedule, rather than that they
had stopped working completely. Someone else actually pointed me to an entry
in the manual which implies that the firewalling function is only available
when you use NAT, which at the moment seems to me to be the most likely
cause of the problem.

Adrian

news

Old February 20th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Benedict Addis

I take it you've upgraded the firmware?

--
Add the 'co' to reply
www.itchest.co.uk

Old February 20th 04, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Benedict Addis

I'd always understood that the main difference between the DG814 and the
DG834 (apart from cost engineering is that the 834 had an SPI firewall
rather than the 'NAT firewall' in the DG814. The firewall should therefore
be enabled whether you're running NAT or IP routing...

Benedict.

--
Add the 'co' to reply
www.itchest.co.uk

Old February 21st 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Bowen

Hi,

I haven't had any response from Netgear support, so I'm still not sure what
the problem is here.

I actually only needed the DG834 for a short period while I had two ADSL
connections going (long story), so I'm back to my trusty Cisco 827 now. I
didn't actually get to round to checking whether the firewall starting
working in NAT mode, I'll leave this exercise for a rainy day.

Adrian