Wireless Connection on an Old Toshiba LapTop

Old January 31st 04, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Wireless Connection on an Old Toshiba LapTop

I have an old Toshiba LapTop - a Satellite 220CS running Windows 98SE - and
I'm having problems installing a wireless adapter. I have tried a Belkin
and today a NetGear with the same results.

The software loads ok and the card is found by the software when inserted
and loads the drivers, but a few seconds later when the wireless connection
is made to my DG834G NetGear Router, (when the lights light up on the card -
one permanently on, the
other flashing intemittedly), the LapTop freezes, necessitating a reboot.
When the reboot is performed the card is not seen by the software until it
is pulled back out and reinserted again, whichs results in the same freeze
as soon as a wireless connection is made and so on.

I have managed to change the bus to 32 bit in the LapTop's bios and have
successfully loaded the drivers for it - ToPic95 drivers, I think they were
called. My former PCMCIA dialup modem card and NetGear 10/100 ethernet
cards both work satisfactorily in the 32 bit bus, so why doesn't the
wireless cards? I forget the model of the Belkin one I previously tried but
the NetGear card is a 54 mbps WG511 card. The Belkin one was there
equivalent version.

Strangely though I can connect a wireless Linksys bridge to the 10/100
PCMCIA card and communicate with my router/network ok - it's just using
these CardBus cards that is the prob. Have tried posting in a network forum
but no responses

I have struggled with this for a few weeks now any ideas anyone please?

Paul