NTL Broadband and the web pages that wil not load!!

Old January 31st 04, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen

Default NTL Broadband and the web pages that wil not load!!

I am trying to help my mate out. He has a new computer whch I had a hand in
configuring for him.
At my house I can get the broadband to work with my ISP (pipex) using a usb
modem.
I have removed all the pipex settings and the computer is now at my friends
and he has installed NTL broadband, using usb modem (also tried
lan)completed the required password settings etc and appears connected, but
no web page loads. AT the bottom it says done but there is nothing on
screen.
NTL say the connection is working as they have pinged the computer. So why
won't a web page or outlook express 'work' the internet?
Norton firewall is disabled.
I have looked at various similar problems on posts within newsgroups but
can't seem to cure this.
Any help please.
Thank you.

Old January 31st 04, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SimpleSimon

"Stephen" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Has your mate been to the NTL start page which registers the modems MAC
address?

A good site for info on setting up PC's for NTL Broadband is
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

Simon

Old January 31st 04, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

The first time I put my USB modem on my PC my pages did not load and I had
to type in: http://autoreg.autoregister.net which takes you to the NTL
broadband registration screen. You will need the codes that NTL send in the
welcome pack.

. ..

Old February 1st 04, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen

Thanks to you all for the replies.

We have managed to sort this out now.
Although the firewall was disabled it was somwhow blocking internet access.
After removing the firewall and rebooting, internet access resumed.
Thanks

Old February 1st 04, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Backham

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:15:05 -0000, "Stephen"
wrote:

Thanks to you all for the replies.

We have managed to sort this out now.
Although the firewall was disabled it was somwhow blocking internet access.
After removing the firewall and rebooting, internet access resumed.

I hope you're not planning on leaving the firewall out permanently?
In this day and age, you really don't want to be connected to the
Internet for any more than about 5 seconds without a firewall. You
really should figure out what rules need to be added to your firewall
so that Internet access works. If you can't get it working with this
particular firewall (I can't remember which one you said was
installed), then try another one. FWIW, I have NTL broadband and use
Kerio 2.1.4 firewall, and eberything works fine.
--
Clive Backham

Note: As a spam avoidance measure, the email address in the header
is just a free one and doesn't get checked very often. If you want to email
me, my real address can be found at: www [dot] delback [dot] co [dot] uk