Setting up webserver on ADSL account with static IP

Old January 31st 04, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

Default Setting up webserver on ADSL account with static IP

How do I go about setting up the DNS etc? What DNS addresses do I stick in
the control panel of my domain registrar?

Thanks in advance

Regards

tHatDudeUK

Old February 1st 04, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
In article , THatDudeUK

wrote:
How do I go about setting up the DNS etc? What DNS addresses do I stick

in
the control panel of my domain registrar?

I put the router's IP address, and it works.

I'm using www.ukreg.com and it says not to put in an IP address but a
primary and secondary DNS server name.

Which domain registrar have you used to be able to just put an IP address
in?

Old February 1st 04, 02:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

wrote:

How do I go about setting up the DNS etc? What DNS addresses do I stick

You want to create an "A" record for the name "www" pointing to your
static IP.

Note that if you have a router you will need to setup port forwarding on
the router to direct the incoming port 80 connection to the computer on
your LAN running the web server.

I'm using www.ukreg.com and it says not to put in an IP address but a
primary and secondary DNS server name.

IMBW but, I think you are thinking about setting up the router for
resolving addresses, rather than setting up the DNS itself so that other
people can resolve www.yourdomain.tld to a web server running on your
static IP.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old February 1st 04, 03:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"John Rumm" wrote in message
You want to create an "A" record for the name "www" pointing to your
static IP.

Have no problem with the below bit. It's the DNS and all that that's got me
stumped. I have a domain registered with www.ukreg.com and this allows me to
stick in the address of two DNS servers. That's about all I know really and
not too sure where to go from there. How would I create an A record for the
name www pointing to my static IP?

IMBW but, I think you are thinking about setting up the router for
resolving addresses, rather than setting up the DNS itself so that other
people can resolve www.yourdomain.tld to a web server running on your
static IP.

Thanks for your reply but I feel I'm no further to understanding where I
should go or what I should do. Sorry :-S.

Can I run a DNS server myself and will that have an address (other than an
IP address) which I can stick in the config page on ukreg.com or do I have
to get some sort of DNS server service to register my IP address and put in
the DNS server addresses of those DNS servers?

Old February 1st 04, 05:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

tHatDudeUK wrote:

Thanks for your reply but I feel I'm no further to understanding where I
should go or what I should do. Sorry :-S.

No need to apologise!

Can I run a DNS server myself and will that have an address (other than an

You can - but I very much doubt you would want to - much better to let
ukreg carry on doing this for you.

IP address) which I can stick in the config page on ukreg.com or do I have
to get some sort of DNS server service to register my IP address and put in
the DNS server addresses of those DNS servers?

OK lets get back to the basic requirement. You have a domain registered
by ukreg. You want to setup the domain so that when someone enters
www.yourdomain.co.uk (for example) in their web browser the request sent
by their browser comes to your computer running a web server on the end
of your ADSL connection. Does that sound about right so far?

When you register a domain, the domain name must be hosted on a DNS.
Hosting the domain really just means that there is an entry in a
database used by the DNS, that specifies the domain name, plus some
related information about who it belongs to, and where to find servers
for different functions like web and email.

Usualy the hosting company (ukreg) will provide at least a pair of DNS
servers (DNSs like to go in pairs ;-) that will host all the domains
people register with them.

Now not having a ukreg account I can't give you exact details of what to
do. However looking at the FAQ on their site seems to suggest there is a
"configuring your domains" option from their members only area menu.

It will give you the option to change the "authoritative" Name Servers -
you won't typically want to do this unless you wanted to host your own
DNS, but, it may be this bit you have been looking at - if so skip that bit!

Different registrars may offer different levels of control of their DNS
records. Some may let you directly manipulate the content (hence my
comment about "A" records). Some may not. Most however will let you do
email and web forwarding. (in fact some may ONLY let you do forwarding
rather than control the actual DNS data directly).

Forwarding will probably be enough for what you want anyway and it is
usually a little simpler to setup. Hence if it lets you specify a web
forwarding address you could enter your static IP address that belongs
to your ADSL account there.

(note that when you make changes to DNS data (including setup of
forwarding) it may take hours (or even a couple of days) for the changes
to be visible all over the net. Hence if you are sure you have made the
right tweak but it is still not working then wait for a bit and try again!)

Sorry I can't be a bit more specific without knowing what controls ukreg
give you.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old February 1st 04, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HamMan

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
How do I go about setting up the DNS etc? What DNS addresses do I stick in
the control panel of my domain registrar?

Thanks in advance

Regards

tHatDudeUK

head over to www.oneandone.co.uk , they allow you to just put in the IP
address and thier rates are extremely competitive. www.hammedia.co.uk is
hosted on a static ADSL line as you want to.

hamman

Old February 1st 04, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"HamMan" wrote in message
head over to www.oneandone.co.uk , they allow you to just put in the IP
address and thier rates are extremely competitive. www.hammedia.co.uk is
hosted on a static ADSL line as you want to.

I only just registered the domain name. Does anyone know how transferring it
to another provider would work? I don't mind paying another fee to get the
control I want over the DNS etc...

Old February 1st 04, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Sorry I can't be a bit more specific without knowing what controls ukreg
give you.

Having just had a look over it's only web and e-mail forwarding (when using
their DNS) and the ability to change the DNS servers used, primary and
secondary. There doesn't appear to be any other functions there. I might
have to transfer my domain to another registrar I guess if I want ro have
DNS control.

Old February 1st 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 1 Feb 2004 14:34, "tHatDudeUK" wrote:

There doesn't appear to be any other functions there. I might have to
transfer my domain to another registrar I guess if I want DNS control.

Try www.zoneedit.com You can register and have a few domains in their
DNS without any charge. You can add records, setting up MX and A for
your own static IP, if that's what you're after. Similarly, many of
the facilities can be used with www.mydomain.com if you want to have
mail forwarded and similar, though it might parallel the services you
already have available via ukreg. To be honest I'd suggest getting
a hosting account elsewhere (I've had accounts costing $9.99 inc the
domain registration and hosting for a year) rather than open an ADSL
based web server to the morons trying to find holes in firewalls, etc.
A hosting account will offer web stats, and a range of software for
scripts if you are keen, and can even be had for free from someone
like portland.co.uk (but I suggest never changing IPSTAG to theirs!)
Old February 1st 04, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 1 Feb 2004 12:35, "HamMan" wrote:

head over to www.oneandone.co.uk , they allow you to just put in the IP
address and thier rates are extremely competitive.

they may let you put an IP address in, but they're a pain to use for a
number of reasons. With .*.uk they don't let you set the DNS entries,
so if you want to transfer away there will be a gap in service while
their servers don't answer any DNS lookups for your domain. Their
CS claimed that Nominet don't allow use of a PO Box (but it seems a
rule only of OneandOne, as Nominet has no such rule), and to transfer
a domain away from them needs you to print out their forms, sign and
fax back to them. About the last firm I'd recommend from experience,
but you've just reminded me I must fit a printer to get some of my
domains transferred from their clutches, before renewal comes due !