Running My Own Email Server On PlusNet

Old February 2nd 04, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kimball K Kinnison

Default Running My Own Email Server On PlusNet

18 days till my exchange gets activated! I am going with the PlusNet 1mb
service. As I understand it they allow you to run your own mail server. Can
you only do this if you have the optional .co.uk domain name or will it work
with the standard account name.

People running their own mail server - what prog do you use. I have come
across MailEnable at http://www.mailenable.com/ - is this any good? I will
only be running the mail server for family and friends so it will get fairly
light use.

Old February 2nd 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Kimball K Kinnison wrote:

18 days till my exchange gets activated! I am going with the PlusNet 1mb
service. As I understand it they allow you to run your own mail server. Can
you only do this if you have the optional .co.uk domain name or will it work
with the standard account name.

You can do it with the standard account name (i.e. yourname.plus.com)

People running their own mail server - what prog do you use. I have come
across MailEnable at http://www.mailenable.com/ - is this any good? I will
only be running the mail server for family and friends so it will get fairly
light use.

Sorry, never tried it so can't really comment.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old February 2nd 04, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Kimball K
Kinnison writes
18 days till my exchange gets activated! I am going with the PlusNet 1mb
service. As I understand it they allow you to run your own mail server. Can
you only do this if you have the optional .co.uk domain name or will it work
with the standard account name.

People running their own mail server - what prog do you use. I have come
across MailEnable at http://www.mailenable.com/ - is this any good? I will
only be running the mail server for family and friends so it will get fairly
light use.

Try Mercury/32 for a windows platform, www.pmail.com Rock solid on a
P233MMX, 64Mb 3.2GB with W2K for almost two years now.

--
Clint Sharp
Old February 2nd 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kimball K Kinnison

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , Kimball K
Kinnison writes
18 days till my exchange gets activated! I am going with the PlusNet 1mb
service. As I understand it they allow you to run your own mail server.

Can
you only do this if you have the optional .co.uk domain name or will it

work
with the standard account name.

People running their own mail server - what prog do you use. I have come
across MailEnable at http://www.mailenable.com/ - is this any good? I

will
only be running the mail server for family and friends so it will get

fairly
light use.

Try Mercury/32 for a windows platform, www.pmail.com Rock solid on a
P233MMX, 64Mb 3.2GB with W2K for almost two years now.

--
Clint Sharp

Thanx - I will take a look

Old February 3rd 04, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Martin² wrote:

There is no need, you can carry on using any POP account you like,
just change the STMP server to PlusNet one.
Regards,
Martin

This sounds interesting!

All my email accounts are currently Freeserve based, and emails are sent out
via smtp.freeserve.com

Are you saying that if I migrate to PlusNet (which I may well do when I
upgrade to ADSL) that I can keep the same email
addresses - but send the emails out via the PlusNet smtp server? [I shall
maintain the Freeserve accounts on a PAYG basis - but never connect directly
to them - if that makes any difference].
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 3rd 04, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Tiscali Tim wrote:
Martin² wrote:

There is no need, you can carry on using any POP account you like,
just change the STMP server to PlusNet one.
Regards,
Martin

This sounds interesting!

All my email accounts are currently Freeserve based, and emails are
sent out via smtp.freeserve.com

Are you saying that if I migrate to PlusNet (which I may well do when
I upgrade to ADSL) that I can keep the same
email addresses - but send the emails out via the PlusNet smtp
server? [I shall maintain the Freeserve accounts on a PAYG basis -
but never connect directly to them - if that makes any difference].

That is exactly what I do. Nearly all my mail goes to my Freeserve No Ties
account but I post out from PlusNet through the relay.plus.net server. I
have to reactivate my No Ties account every 90 days through the Freeserve
website but that is the only inconvenience. I also pick up email from my old
Tesco and BT accounts and can respond (not that I do as they are all SPAM)
in the same way.

--
Email address is munged. Please reply to newsgroup.

Old February 3rd 04, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Tiny Tim wrote:

That is exactly what I do. Nearly all my mail goes to my Freeserve No
Ties account but I post out from PlusNet through the relay.plus.net
server. I have to reactivate my No Ties account every 90 days through
the Freeserve website but that is the only inconvenience. I also pick
up email from my old Tesco and BT accounts and can respond (not that
I do as they are all SPAM) in the same way.

That's wonderful - thanks!

Just to be clear, are you saying that in Outlook/Outlook Express (or
whatever email client you use) in the Servers section of the Properties for
each account, you leave the incoming mail pointing at pop.freeserve.com but
change the outgoing mail to use smtp.{PlusNet something or other}? Sounds
great if that's all you have to do.

When someone receives such an outgoing email, where does it appear to have
come from?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 3rd 04, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Tiscali Tim wrote:

That's wonderful - thanks!

Just to be clear, are you saying that in Outlook/Outlook Express (or
whatever email client you use) in the Servers section of the Properties for
each account, you leave the incoming mail pointing at pop.freeserve.com but
change the outgoing mail to use smtp.{PlusNet something or other}? Sounds
great if that's all you have to do.

Yup.

When someone receives such an outgoing email, where does it appear to have
come from?

Depends on what you put in the email client config - if you tell it your
email address / reply address is a freeserve one then that is where it
will appear to come from. (Note that if someone studies the email
headers in detail they would be able to work out that the email was
actually routed via the plusnet network).

--
Cheers,

John.

Old February 6th 04, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Davies

In article , "Kimball K
Kinnison" says...
18 days till my exchange gets activated! I am going with the PlusNet 1mb
service. As I understand it they allow you to run your own mail server. Can
you only do this if you have the optional .co.uk domain name or will it work
with the standard account name.

People running their own mail server - what prog do you use. I have come
across MailEnable at http://www.mailenable.com/ - is this any good? I will
only be running the mail server for family and friends so it will get fairly
light use.

I use mdaemon, its the best i've come across
Old February 7th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

In article ,
(Kimball K Kinnison) wrote:

18 days till my exchange gets activated! I am going with the PlusNet 1mb
service. As I understand it they allow you to run your own mail server.
Can
you only do this if you have the optional .co.uk domain name or will it
work
with the standard account name.

People running their own mail server - what prog do you use. I have come
across MailEnable at
http://www.mailenable.com/ - is this any good? I
will
only be running the mail server for family and friends so it will get
fairly
light use.

I use VPOP3 from http://www.pscs.co.uk/

It runs on an old box under Win98, has remote admin and webmail facility.
(means that I can access my email from the office ;-))
The server lives in the garage, and I haven't touched it for WEEKS !!!

- Steve

10km or more : no .sig