Line distance or line quality

Old February 2nd 04, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default Line distance or line quality

After arguing with BT for along time that my line is not too far from the
exchange, they now tell me its not the distance, but the quality of the
line. Giving me a figure of 63db of my line quality. With BT only recently
increasing the specs to 60db its going to be a long while before I get near
adsl.
The line checker says may get adsl up to 512. My other line which is isdn,
the line checker says simply no I am too far from exchange.
Now here is my problem... 2 lines, one having a distance longer than the
other, yet BT insist if I have another line installed for BB it will still
fail the tests. I cant even get them to hear my side of the story.
Theres not really a question in this post, its merely just a little whine
about lines/lack of lines/degraded lines or whatever.

Old February 2nd 04, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:53:56 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

After arguing with BT for along time that my line is not too far from the
exchange, they now tell me its not the distance, but the quality of the
line. Giving me a figure of 63db of my line quality. With BT only recently
increasing the specs to 60db its going to be a long while before I get near
adsl.
The line checker says may get adsl up to 512. My other line which is isdn,
the line checker says simply no I am too far from exchange.

bit confused by this, if you have had a test and failed at 63 dB then
the line checker should be saying you are too far away on the line
that was tested. Perhaps if the test was recent it hasn't been
updated.

It has always been the loss that counts, not the length. 60 dB is
about 6.0 km of reasonable line, so having longer line or lower
quality can put you over the limit.

Another line might serve a purpose if all your neighbours could get
ADSL and you couldn't, as the new line may be more like theirs than
yours. Worth running their numbers through the checker.

Phil
Old February 2nd 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

wrote:

[...]

Thats where my confusion is. For years the line checker has been saying too
far from exchange. Then October just gone they changed it to may be able to
get 512 adsl but not 1 or 2 mb. I am confused by all of it.

Old February 2nd 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:45:48 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

Thats where my confusion is. For years the line checker has been saying too
far from exchange. Then October just gone they changed it to may be able to
get 512 adsl but not 1 or 2 mb. I am confused by all of it.

they changed the rules from 55 to 60 dB last October-ish

If you went from too long to maybe then you are borderline for
distance. Did you have a test done to give the 63 dB ?

Phil
Old February 2nd 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

wrote:

Thats where my confusion is. For years the line checker has been
saying too far from exchange. Then October just gone they changed
it to may be able to get 512 adsl but not 1 or 2 mb. I am confused
by all of it.

they changed the rules from 55 to 60 dB last October-ish

If you went from too long to maybe then you are borderline for
distance. Did you have a test done to give the 63 dB ?

Some more light has been thrown on the matter. Line sits on amber but
possibly faulty phone equipment has confused matters. I have explained all
in a new thread - advice please re line quality