PlusNet DSL Connect 150

Old February 2nd 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Crotub

Default PlusNet DSL Connect 150

Hi all,
I ordered DSL Connect 150 from plusnet afew weeks ago. Filled in all the
online forms and got confirmation.
After a little while I didnt hear anything, slightly confused I put a ticket
in the system using their ticket system, querying as to when my line would
be activated and hence when modem etc would arrive.

The reply from the PlusNet stated that I can not receive DSL Connect 150 at
my current address, it then continued to plug their more expensive products
which would work at my address. I'm a little confused as to why I cant get
the cheaper option as I live in Central Edinburgh. So if I can't get it in
the Capital of Scotland, where can I get it?

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the matter for me as
I would really like to know if this is gonna happen everytime I try to get
DSL installed?

Thanks,
Stuart....

ps, If replying by email remove "dontspam" from address.

Old February 2nd 04, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Crotub" wrote in message
[...]

Plusnet use BT Wholesale's network (as do most other ISPs) to provide their
faster services (512K, 1MB and 2MB) - these are available nationally. (where
ADSL is available)

However, BT Wholesale do not offer a 150K service so Plusnt cannot resell
that - instead for 150K lines it uses Tiscali's backbone network to provide
the bandwidth.

However, Tiscali don't offer their service to every single exchange...

Hence, in these areas, its not possible to get the 150K service but it is
possible to get the 512K+ services...

Regards
Sunil

Old February 2nd 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Crotub

Thanks for the extremely quick reply.
I guess if I want DSL then i'll have to fork out the cash for the faster
link then.

Old February 3rd 04, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:56:07 -0000, Mugwump wrote:

And also the 150K service is a throttled 2M datastream. I would
therefore think that the loss limits for it would be the same as 1M/2M
Ipstream i.e. 40-45dB as opposed to 60-65 dB for 512K

but they should provide 512k datastream if it fails the 2M test,
shirley ?

Phil
Old February 3rd 04, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Mugwump" wrote in message
In article , Phil Thompson

but they should provide 512k datastream if it fails the 2M test,
shirley ?

In theory, this is supposed to happen - but this is Tiscali....

I think the smallest Datastream product BT do is 2M

BT do 512K, 1MB and 2MB in DataStream - the cost for all of them is the same
to ISP's, hence their preference where possible to get the 2MB version and
throttle down.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 3rd 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:40:09 -0000, Mugwump wrote:

I think the smallest Datastream product BT do is 2M

the smallest customer connection is 512k, its the same price as 2M or
1M but goes further. All 3 are in the price list.

you may be thinking of the 2M virtual circuit back from the exchange
to the ISP as the smallest.

Phil
Old February 4th 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:24:39 -0000, Mugwump wrote:

Could have been. But Sunil has given a very valid answer as to why they
use a throttled 2M. It makes sound business sense. No extra outlay if
you launch larger products.

sure, but it confines you to a 3.5km radius circle rather than a 6km
one, or 1/3 the area. Depends on the geography but could cost you a
lot of customers if you weren't prepared to offer the 512k version
*where necessary*

Phil