Problem connecting via ADSL

Old February 3rd 04, 02:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
simon

Default Problem connecting via ADSL

I'm not sure if this is on topic for this ng - if not, please re-direct
me.

Ever since I changed over to ClaraNet ADSL Solo a few weeks ago, using
an Alcatel Speedtouch 330 modem, I've regularly been getting this
message when I try to connect to the internet after booting up:
---------------------
Error 650
The computer you're dialing in to does not respond to a network request.
Check your server type setting in the properties of the connection.
If this problem persists, check with your network administrator.
---------------------

When I try again I get this message:
---------------------
Error 680
There is no dialtone.
Make sure your modem is connected to the phone line properly.
--------------------

This *only* happens after I boot up. Once I'm booted up and connected I
can disconnect and re-connect as many times as I like. I've changed the
connecting wires, checked the connections and reinstalled the software.

I would appreciate any ideas.

--
Simon
Old February 3rd 04, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Shires

Simon

Have you looked on alcatel's site to see if you have the latest drivers ?

Jay

Old February 6th 04, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek Broadhurst

Simon, it would seem that the modem is still in the process of syncing up
with the DSLAM in the exchange and it not done training when you try to
connect...

What is the DSL light on the modem doing while this is happening???

Derek

Old February 11th 04, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
simon

In message , Derek Broadhurst
writes
Simon, it would seem that the modem is still in the process of syncing up
with the DSLAM in the exchange and it not done training when you try to
connect...

What is the DSL light on the modem doing while this is happening???

(Sorry for the delay in replying) The DSL light stays steady.

I've tried downloading the new driver for this modem, but it appears to
be only applicable for Win2000 onwards. I'm using Win98SE.

--
Simon