ADSL Exchange activate

Old February 3rd 04, 06:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Mowatt

Default ADSL Exchange activate

Can anyone recommend an ISP that will sponsor this? I'm looking into the
possibility of setting up an NGO to provide rural broadband services to take
advantage of this now that prices are reduced. The BT wholesale site has
some ifo but the prices are out of date and the link to participating ISP's
doesn't work.

They also say this information can be located on "BT Extra" but all I can
find with this name is a prosthetic limb company!

Direct responses welcome.

Regards,

Jeff Mowatt

Old February 3rd 04, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 06:45:44 +0000 (UTC), "Jeff Mowatt"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend an ISP that will sponsor this?

I am not aware of anyone actively doing this. Try emailing
and asking them.

The current pricing is at
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c...s.boo/2110.htm

its only a bit cheaper, the "old" pricing included 3 years * 30 users
worth of connection rental, the new deal is you pay the rental as
connected. Easier than finding the extra up front.

http://62.172.198.79/broadband1/gett...e_activate.asp
has a sponsors pack, the pricing will be out of date I guess.

Over 5 years Activate can be a fair bit cheaper for 30 users than a 2M
leased line. You could also use some of the Activate ADSL lines to
feed wireless access points to get more end users on your 30
connections.

Phil
Old February 3rd 04, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alun Williams

They also say this information can be located on "BT Extra" but all I can
find with this name is a prosthetic limb company!

And they charge an arm and a leg!

Old February 3rd 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Mowatt

Phil,

Thanks. I noticed that it only applies to those exchanges where trigger
levels have not been set, rather than as in this case a level that is
unlikely to be reached in the near future.

Aramiska satellite is another avenue I'm pursuing. Looks very attractively
priced though probably not acceptable to all.

Regards,

Jeff Mowatt

Old February 4th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:02:53 +0000 (UTC), "Jeff Mowatt"
wrote:

Thanks. I noticed that it only applies to those exchanges where trigger
levels have not been set, rather than as in this case a level that is
unlikely to be reached in the near future.

is it a trigger set in November ? if so its ~25% of the lines and
plenty have achieved that.

BT discourage use of exchange activate where a conventional build is
likely, to avoid waste. If you really have 30 people that will pay
then go for it, there's a partial refund if it gets switched to
conventional supply.

Satellite is broadband of last resort, IMO.

Phil