Exchange Activation

Old February 3rd 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alun Williams

Default Exchange Activation

Dear All,

My exchange is supposed to become active as of tomorrow. I've been holding
off subscribing to plusnet until the line actually goes live. Is there any
way I can check if the exchange actually has gone live tomorrow. I will try
BT's number checker but knowing their efficiency I doubt very much it will
be updated for a while. Any suggestions?

Old February 3rd 04, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Alun Williams" wrote in message
My exchange is supposed to become active as of tomorrow. I've been holding
off subscribing to plusnet until the line actually goes live. Is there any
way I can check if the exchange actually has gone live tomorrow. I will

try
BT's number checker but knowing their efficiency I doubt very much it will
be updated for a while. Any suggestions?

If the checker on http://www.bt.com/broadband/ says your exchange will go
live tomorrow it will.

I believe there has only been one instance of an RFS not having been met and
that was changed well in advance of the original date. As such there is no
point holding off subscribing to plusnet until the exchange actually goes
live (unless you are not sure which ISP you wantr to order from)

Regards
Sunil

Old February 3rd 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alun Williams

Thank you for replying Sunil.

The only reason I haven't subscribed is because I didn't think they'd accept
it until they would be able to check the line which I presumed they wont be
able to do unless the exchange was activated.

I may as well wait till tomorrow now anyway.

Thanks Again

Al

Old February 3rd 04, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean

On the Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:46:44 -0000, "Alun Williams" alun.williams
uttered forth the following...
Dear All,

My exchange is supposed to become active as of tomorrow. I've been holding
off subscribing to plusnet until the line actually goes live. Is there any
way I can check if the exchange actually has gone live tomorrow. I will try
BT's number checker but knowing their efficiency I doubt very much it will
be updated for a while. Any suggestions?

Do you know your trigger level? Most smaller exchanges are set to 100
these days.... worth checking.
Old February 3rd 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

"Alun Williams" wrote in message
Thank you for replying Sunil.

The only reason I haven't subscribed is because I didn't think they'd

accept
it until they would be able to check the line which I presumed they wont

be
able to do unless the exchange was activated.

I may as well wait till tomorrow now anyway.

Thanks Again

Al

Alan,

Most ISP's accept orders for exchanges that have not yet been enabled but
have an RFS date. I use Nildram and I ordered my 512K service about a month
before my exchange was due to be enabled. I was up and running 5 days after
the exchange was enabled.

As soon as the exchange is actually enabled (and as Sunil says it seems to
be always on the day they say), BT will start processing the orders that
have already been processed by ISPs... and hence will start to carry out
line tests etc...

If you do do this however, you probably won't get a date for ADSL on your
line until at least 5 working days after the exchange has been enabled -
this is true for all exchanges.. probably because of testing the equipment
etc or processing pre-orders.

regards,
James

Old February 3rd 04, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Alun Williams" wrote in message
The only reason I haven't subscribed is because I didn't think they'd

accept
it until they would be able to check the line which I presumed they wont

be
able to do unless the exchange was activated.

I may as well wait till tomorrow now anyway.

As James states, BT Wholesale allow ISP's to put ADSL orders on their online
ordering system as soon as an RFS date is announced. (or within 150 days of
the RFS date if it is very far in the future)

Once the RFS date has been achieved BT then start testing the lines and
installing ADSL on lines where its been preordered.

As you say, its only a day away now so wont make much difference but in some
ways its actually better to "pre order" as BT tend to enable those lines in
"batches" which is normally quicker* than an order placed afterwards.

Regards
Sunil
* Your ISP will probably still give you a date a week or so away but the
chances are greater than otherwise that it will start working sooner.

Old February 3rd 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HamMan

"Sean" wrote in message
T...
On the Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:46:44 -0000, "Alun Williams" alun.williams
uttered forth the following...
Dear All,

My exchange is supposed to become active as of tomorrow. I've been

holding
off subscribing to plusnet until the line actually goes live. Is there

any
way I can check if the exchange actually has gone live tomorrow. I will

try
BT's number checker but knowing their efficiency I doubt very much it

will
be updated for a while. Any suggestions?

Do you know your trigger level? Most smaller exchanges are set to 100
these days.... worth checking.

Let me get this right, it goes live tomorrow, and youre taking about
triggerlevels? D'OH!

Old February 3rd 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

"Alun Williams" wrote in message
Dear All,

My exchange is supposed to become active as of tomorrow.

Are you in West Linton, by any chance ?

The first 2 test ccts went in on Friday, no problems...

HTH, Ali

Old February 4th 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alun Williams

No, a little Welsh village called Abercynon actually. Just checked BT's site
and lo and behold..... it says my exchange is enabled!!!

My apologies to BT for ever doubting their efficiency. Hurrah for
privatisation