line gain up or down

Old February 3rd 04, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default line gain up or down

From what I understand line gain too high can effect a negative adsl line
test. I have been on to BT who have said my line gain is set to the default
of 4. They are willing to set the line gain to zero, but I wanted to check
first whether this is the best course of action to reduce the line gain, or
to leave it at its default setting?
thankyou

Old February 3rd 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:01:24 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

From what I understand line gain too high can effect a negative adsl line
test.

sounds like an urban myth. The gain will be on the input stage of an
exchange line card for audio frequencies, whereas the line test will
be on the line at 300 kHz ie way above audio frequencies.

Phil
Old February 3rd 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:01:24 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

From what I understand line gain too high can effect a negative adsl
line test.

sounds like an urban myth. The gain will be on the input stage of an
exchange line card for audio frequencies, whereas the line test will
be on the line at 300 kHz ie way above audio frequencies.

The information I received about the line gain is from www.btofaq.net who
are quite up to date with their information. Maybe its not true, but if it
is its worth a try?

Old February 3rd 04, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Beck wrote:
Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:01:24 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

From what I understand line gain too high can effect a negative
adsl line test.

sounds like an urban myth. The gain will be on the input stage of
an exchange line card for audio frequencies, whereas the line test
will be on the line at 300 kHz ie way above audio frequencies.

The information I received about the line gain is from
www.btofaq.net who are quite up to date with their information.
Maybe its not true, but if it is its worth a try?

The only thing it may (repeat may) affect is your Signal to Noise Ratio.
Personally I wouldn't bother, but each to their own....

Old February 3rd 04, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Kráftéé wrote:
Beck wrote:
Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:01:24 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

From what I understand line gain too high can effect a negative
adsl line test.

sounds like an urban myth. The gain will be on the input stage of
an exchange line card for audio frequencies, whereas the line test
will be on the line at 300 kHz ie way above audio frequencies.

The information I received about the line gain is from
www.btofaq.net who are quite up to date with their information.
Maybe its not true, but if it is its worth a try?

The only thing it may (repeat may) affect is your Signal to Noise
Ratio. Personally I wouldn't bother, but each to their own....

Is this signal to noise ratio an integral part of the adsl line test?

Old February 3rd 04, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Beck wrote:
Kráftéé wrote:
Beck wrote:
Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:01:24 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

From what I understand line gain too high can effect a negative
adsl line test.

sounds like an urban myth. The gain will be on the input stage of
an exchange line card for audio frequencies, whereas the line
test will be on the line at 300 kHz ie way above audio
frequencies.

The information I received about the line gain is from
www.btofaq.net who are quite up to date with their information.
Maybe its not true, but if it is its worth a try?

The only thing it may (repeat may) affect is your Signal to Noise
Ratio. Personally I wouldn't bother, but each to their own....

Is this signal to noise ratio an integral part of the adsl line
test?

Yes....

Old February 3rd 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Kráftéé wrote:
Beck wrote:
Kráftéé wrote:
Beck wrote:
Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:01:24 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

From what I understand line gain too high can effect a negative
adsl line test.

sounds like an urban myth. The gain will be on the input stage of
an exchange line card for audio frequencies, whereas the line
test will be on the line at 300 kHz ie way above audio
frequencies.

The information I received about the line gain is from
www.btofaq.net who are quite up to date with their information.
Maybe its not true, but if it is its worth a try?

The only thing it may (repeat may) affect is your Signal to Noise
Ratio. Personally I wouldn't bother, but each to their own....

Is this signal to noise ratio an integral part of the adsl line
test?

Yes....

Then it might be worth getting it lowered for a week while they do the
tests. I have nowt to lose :-)

Old February 3rd 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Kráftéé wrote:
Beck wrote:
Kráftéé wrote:
Beck wrote:
Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:01:24 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

From what I understand line gain too high can effect a negative
adsl line test.

sounds like an urban myth. The gain will be on the input stage of
an exchange line card for audio frequencies, whereas the line
test will be on the line at 300 kHz ie way above audio
frequencies.

The information I received about the line gain is from
www.btofaq.net who are quite up to date with their information.
Maybe its not true, but if it is its worth a try?

The only thing it may (repeat may) affect is your Signal to Noise
Ratio. Personally I wouldn't bother, but each to their own....

Is this signal to noise ratio an integral part of the adsl line
test?

Yes....

Too late...
Our last communication about your broadband order let you know that we were
remote-testing your phone line to check that you could receive broadband.

We're really sorry to have to tell you that the tests we've carried out show
that your telephone line is currently unable to support broadband.

We understand how disappointed you must feel. In this email we suggest
possible alternatives - please call us if you'd like to discuss these
further.