Does a Micro Filter do anything to the ADSL side??

Old February 3rd 04, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Does a Micro Filter do anything to the ADSL side??

In article ,
(Ian G Batten) wrote:

In article ,
Gareth Jones wrote:
Read the post. There is nothing else plugged in!!! Nothing else....
the modem was the ONLY thing plugged in....

Is the modem plugged straight into the master socket, or is there other
wiring in between?

And the wiring isn't toxic. Its new, I know exactly where it going,

It's incredibly easy to slightly mis-terminate cable and get it behaving
oddly, and that's with robust, industrial-grade Cat 5 equipment. I've
seen professionally installed stuff which is OK for voice but horribly
broken for even 10BaseT. IDC phone wiring is horrible, because the
hardware is really just meant for voice. Unless you've got test
equipment --- and not just a multimeter, because continuity isn't the
only issue --- then you should suspect anything you've terminated
yourself[*].

Try the modem plugged straight into the master socket, using a selection
of patch leads and (if possible) a selection of modems. If they're all
screwed, it's probably a BT problem

[*] We have got the test gear, and looking up from my desk I can see the
production line where there's a strong chance the DSLAM your line is
connected to was made, but we still buy in patch cables. Hand crimping
and IDC just isn't consistent enough.

ian

IDC is fairly idiot proof if you use the right tool for the job. All too
often you see someone crimping a 26 way IDC header onto ribbon with a pair
of pliers :-(

I have a proper clamp too for IDC connectors and rarely have to remake
them. That said, some of the stuff I do requires crossing conductors to
swap lines (tx/rx) because someone can't layout a pcb correctly. :-(

- Steve

10km or more : no .sig