Loss Limits For 1Mb and above?

Old February 4th 04, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PsychicStickleBrick

Default Loss Limits For 1Mb and above?

Just had a BT engineer do a line test. The result was 43dB.
He said this will allow 512Kb but not 1Mb, but I thought I've read somewhere
the limit for 1Mb was now 45dB?

Any advice?

TIA

Old February 4th 04, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"PsychicStickleBrick" wrote in message
Just had a BT engineer do a line test. The result was 43dB.
He said this will allow 512Kb but not 1Mb, but I thought I've read

somewhere
the limit for 1Mb was now 45dB?

Its 41dB if there is no ADSL equipment on the line.

45dB if the line has already been enabled.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 4th 04, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PsychicStickleBrick

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"PsychicStickleBrick" wrote in message
Just had a BT engineer do a line test. The result was 43dB.
He said this will allow 512Kb but not 1Mb, but I thought I've read

somewhere
the limit for 1Mb was now 45dB?

Its 41dB if there is no ADSL equipment on the line.

45dB if the line has already been enabled.

Regards
Sunil

Thanks Sunil, what are the chances of making a "manual order" for a new line
and specifying I want it for "1Mb ADSL" (ie if it can't provide a 1Mb service
then I don't pay)? Would they accept this or will they only accept a
specification for "ADSL" (whatever the speed) - which would be pointless as I
can already get 512kb on my current line?

Old February 4th 04, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"PsychicStickleBrick" wrote in message

Thanks Sunil, what are the chances of making a "manual order" for a new

line
and specifying I want it for "1Mb ADSL" (ie if it can't provide a 1Mb

service
then I don't pay)? Would they accept this or will they only accept a
specification for "ADSL" (whatever the speed) - which would be pointless

as I
can already get 512kb on my current line?

A "manual order" is for ADSL - it sounds to me that you are talking about
having a new BT line put in..

You can certainly order a new BT line and specify while ordering that it
must be suitable for 1MB (or even 2MB - the line limit is the same).

It is then up to BT if they proceed with the order or cancel it having
decided what you want is not achieveable.

If they install the line and it then can't reach the specified speed they
should then remove the line and refund the installation fee (£74.99) - just
ensure that it is mentioned in the order notes (ring back and check etc)

The other option is that BT are currently trialling the option where ISP's
order new lines (and ADSL) on behalf of a customer - you could try that
instead.

I know A&A are taking part in the trial and I imagine you may be able to
find a few other ISP's as well...

Regards
Sunil

Old February 4th 04, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:29:35 -0000, "Chris Watts"
wrote:

Are those Line Attenuation or SNR margin figures?

the former. 45 dB of SNR would be orgasmic.

Phil
Old February 4th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:49:59 -0000, "Chris Watts"
wrote:

the SNR margin is
about 41 - and it works just fine with 512k adsl!

of course it does, bigger is better. Worry when it gets to 6 dB

Phil

Old February 8th 04, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Sunil Sood wrote:

"PsychicStickleBrick" wrote in message
Just had a BT engineer do a line test. The result was 43dB.
He said this will allow 512Kb but not 1Mb, but I thought I've read

somewhere
the limit for 1Mb was now 45dB?

Its 41dB if there is no ADSL equipment on the line.

45dB if the line has already been enabled.

Regards
Sunil

Do you know if BTs' measurments generally agree with those reported by a
modem?

My line is 3km (from the line test long ago) but attenuation 48/49, not
that I can afford it anyway, but it would be nice to know.

TIA

Andy.

Old February 11th 04, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Andy Furniss" wrote in message
Do you know if BTs' measurments generally agree with those reported by a
modem?

My line is 3km (from the line test long ago) but attenuation 48/49, not
that I can afford it anyway, but it would be nice to know.

It depends on what model modem (and firmware version I guess) you have.

Some report figures which are relatively close to BT's figures while other
makes give different readings - sometimes wildly out..

Regards
Sunil

Old February 11th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Andy Furniss" wrote in message
Do you know if BTs' measurments generally agree with those
reported by a modem?

My line is 3km (from the line test long ago) but attenuation
48/49, not that I can afford it anyway, but it would be nice to
know.

It depends on what model modem (and firmware version I guess) you
have.

Some report figures which are relatively close to BT's figures
while other makes give different readings - sometimes wildly out..

Regards
Sunil

Sometimes even BT's test equipment varies between each piece of kit used,
but not enough to get the readings comfortably into the right zone for 1-2mb
service I'm afraid..