512k compared to 1MB for surfing

Old February 4th 04, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

Default 512k compared to 1MB for surfing

My exchange is being enabled at the end of April and I have more or less
decided to go with Plusnet after lurking about for the last few weeks and
reading all the good reviews it gets.

My only difficulty is in choosing between 512 and 1MB.

I have read a few posts stating that the difference between the two while
purely surfing is negligible.

However I will be sharing the connection with my daughter, will that make a
noticeable difference if we are both surfing at the same time? Would the 1MB
be significantly quicker if we are both on line or is it not worth the extra
compared to 512K for purely surfing?

I rarely download large files but my daughter does some P2P occasionally. If
we were sharing 512K and she was P2Ping would my surfing grind to a halt as
it does just now while sharing dial-up?

If we were sharing the 1MB and she was P2Ping would my surfing be reasonable
then or still grind to a halt unless I used some throttling software?

Thanks for any advice.

Steven.

Old February 4th 04, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Houston

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
My exchange is being enabled at the end of April and I have more or less
decided to go with Plusnet after lurking about for the last few weeks and
reading all the good reviews it gets.

My only difficulty is in choosing between 512 and 1MB.

I have read a few posts stating that the difference between the two while
purely surfing is negligible.

Pretty much, yes.

However I will be sharing the connection with my daughter, will that make

noticeable difference if we are both surfing at the same time? Would the

1MB
be significantly quicker if we are both on line or is it not worth the

extra
compared to 512K for purely surfing?

For 2 PC's I'd say no. Unless one is downloading big files constantly the
other isn't going to notice any great reduction in speed.

I rarely download large files but my daughter does some P2P occasionally.

If
we were sharing 512K and she was P2Ping would my surfing grind to a halt

as
it does just now while sharing dial-up?

Ah...

Well then, it depends how much and how often. We (in the office) have
a 512K connection shared over a network of about 20 PC's through
a Draytek Vigor 2600 Router, and as it's only online quotes and stuff
that the staff do (i.e. light internet browsing) it works fine.

If we were sharing the 1MB and she was P2Ping would my surfing be

reasonable
then or still grind to a halt unless I used some throttling software?

If your using something like, say, WinMX to download stuff, it should have
some form of bandwidth restriction option in it.

James H

Old February 4th 04, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
However I will be sharing the connection with my daughter, will that make

noticeable difference if we are both surfing at the same time? Would the

1MB
be significantly quicker if we are both on line or is it not worth the

extra
compared to 512K for purely surfing?

Not worth it in my view...

I rarely download large files but my daughter does some P2P occasionally.

If
we were sharing 512K and she was P2Ping would my surfing grind to a halt

as
it does just now while sharing dial-up?

If we were sharing the 1MB and she was P2Ping would my surfing be

reasonable
then or still grind to a halt unless I used some throttling software?

In both of these cases its possible for surfing to grind to a halt when P2P
is being used.

However, most P2P software allows you to limit the upload/download speed,
which should stop that happening.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 4th 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

[...]

I have a 3 pc network. There might occasionally be instances where 3 or 4
different downloads are happening at the same time.
On some p2p applications you are encouraged to greater upload limits so as
to recieve higher d/load speeds.
My workaround is to install 'netlimiter' on all machines.Then:==
1) tell the application eg kazza to allow max upload
2) tell netlimiter to restrict to xKb/s

I have found greater problems with surfing when my upload speed is near the
limit than when the d/load is near the limit and if my two kids d/l through
2/3 different applications at the same time each upload of 10kbs hits the
limit.

I believe my solution solves the problem and pacifies the kids at the same
time.
If any particular up/download is bothersome, open netlimiter, limit either
up, down or both and its remembered on that application for that machine.
www.netlimiter.com

Old February 4th 04, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJ

Hi,

I've been on 1MB for about 1.5 weeks now and I have noticed a difference
in general surfing. Any pages with loads of graphics are virtually
instantaneous with the bottleneck being my CPU speed. It's fantastic
going to Flash sites or any that need to download anything eg.PDF files.
Also when viewing broadband TV the result is much better than the 0.5Meg
service. Newsgroups are also much faster to update with new threads and
if you have a lot of e-mail waiting in the morning to collect this speed
increase is very noticeable. I'm also finding I have more time to look
at other sites as I'm not being impatient and giving up before they
load.

This is what the internet was meant to be like! Well worth the extra
money.

CJ