plusnet mailbox help

Old February 4th 04, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Watts

Default plusnet mailbox help

Plusnet have, what is to me, a strange mailbox philosophy.
You can set up a mailbox which you can read with webmail or pop3 - that's
ok.
You can set up a mailbox to forward - that's all it will do, you cannot
access or read from it.
You cannot amend the characteristics of an existing mailbox of either type
to turn forwarding on/off - you must delete it and then set it up again in
the other form.

Chris

"Alun Williams" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've just signed up for plusnet broadband.

I've started to set up my mailboxes but something isn't right. Any help
would be appreciated.

My mail mailbox is in the form

I've created a mailbox called
with it's own

password.

Now my problem is twofold.

1. I want to set up a redirect so any mail received in
are forwarded automatically to a secondary email -

I am unable to do this. It tells me the mailbox already exists. I know it
does, I just created it.

I can set up a redirect without creating the mailbox but this defeats the
object as I cannot then assign a password and download then to a separate
pop account. All messages go to the
address and I
specifically want to keep then separate.

Any suggestions?

2. I cannot log into the second mailbox webmail facility using

username+alun
and my password. It keeps on rejecting me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alun

Old February 4th 04, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alun Williams

What an atrocious system! Is there now way around this? Does anyone know if
plusnet can add an automatic forwarding function to anything that comes in
to ?

Thanks

Al

Old February 4th 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Roberts

I think plusnet have a mailing list facility. The mailing list can be
set up to send incoming mail to any number of users.

Danger is that you cannot turn off the ability of someone to subscribe
to your list without your knowing.

--
Dave Roberts

Old February 4th 04, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hewitt

Alun Williams wrote:

Snipped Text
Now my problem is twofold.

1. I want to set up a redirect so any mail received in
are forwarded automatically to a secondary email -

Having had a look on their web site, that should be possible.

I am unable to do this. It tells me the mailbox already exists. I know it
does, I just created it.

I can set up a redirect without creating the mailbox but this defeats the
object as I cannot then assign a password and download then to a separate
pop account. All messages go to the
address and I
specifically want to keep then separate.

Any suggestions?

2. I cannot log into the second mailbox webmail facility using username+alun
and my password. It keeps on rejecting me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

It looks like you might just be suffering from the problems they are
having with their servers at the moment. If you have a look on the
plusnet.xxxx newsgroups you'll find endless information, in gory detail,
about this. You could also try checking the Server Status pages on their
web site too.

Of course, their own support team are very helpful and prompt. Much
better than guessing about it all in here - IMHO.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v)
Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G3)
Old February 5th 04, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alun Williams

You are correct Chris,

I cannot create a mailbox AND forward copy of any mail received in that
mailbox to another address. You can only forward mail received by mailboxes
that don't exist!!! That is totally bizarre. Surely there is some way around
this

"Chris Watts" wrote in message

"PsychicStickleBrick" wrote in message

"Alun Williams" wrote in

message
What an atrocious system! Is there now way around this? Does anyone

know
if
plusnet can add an automatic forwarding function to anything that

comes
in
to ?

Alun,

this seems to be a fairly standard way to manage mailboxes. I don't use
PlusNet (yet) but I would suggest the following:

Set up a forwarding rule which forwards mail received to
" to " and ALSO to
ess. And set up a mailbox for .

Note
xxx isn't a mailbox, it's just a forwarding rule.

You should also be able to set a "catch_all" address for which you could
specify
or depending if
you
wanted all mail to go to the external server as well.

In my case, yyy is something obscure so that it never receives mail

directly.

HTH

I don't think that plusnet e-mail facility permits this. As far as I can
see, a forward just goes to a single destination - you cannot put multiple
ones in.

Why not ask plusnet support - they are very helpful and quick.

Chris

Chris