What's the best ADSL Router out there?

Old February 5th 04, 02:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Dempster

Default What's the best ADSL Router out there?

Evenin' all....

I'd like people's opinions on what is currently the best all-in-one ADSL
Modem, Router, Firewall and 4-port switch currently on the market.

I'm not interested in wireless at this stage, but would like to connect my
desktop PC (and potentially another PC and a croaky old laptop) to Pipex
Xtreme.

Any views welcomed - not really a budget set, I'm after the best quality
possible.

Also, any thoughts on the best quality microfilters to get? I'm thinking of
BT's own brand...

Regards

Al.

Old February 5th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NAZGUL

I would say the Vigor 2600 is one of the best and its aimed at Enterprise
class use and costs around 140 as for micro filters well I am not on that
score but I would think you would get good ones with the BT branded ones but
the ones I got have been perfect and only 2 odd each.

Old February 6th 04, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel James

In article , Alan
Dempster wrote:
I'd like people's opinions on what is currently the best all-in-one ADSL
Modem, Router, Firewall and 4-port switch currently on the market.

I use both a Vigor 2600 and a Solwise SAR715. The 715 was a little over
half the price of the Draytek (and has a similar spec apart from VPN).

They're both good routers. The web-based admin interface of the Vigor is
much easier to use than that of the 715, but the 715 isn't too hard to set
up. I'd recommend either.

I'm not interested in wireless at this stage, ...

My Vigor is not the wireless version. I have heard that the wireless
version doesn't perform very well (or at least the wirelss part of it
doesn't) but I have no experience of it.

Any views welcomed - not really a budget set, I'm after the best quality
possible.

Well, if money's no object ... some people rave about Cisco kit. You can
get a Cisco 837 for about 400 quid. They're very ... well, "expensive"
sums it up.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/ is a good place to look for
information.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Old February 6th 04, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Cain

"Alan Dempster" wrote in message
Evenin' all....

I'd like people's opinions on what is currently the best all-in-one ADSL
Modem, Router, Firewall and 4-port switch currently on the market.

I'm not interested in wireless at this stage, but would like to connect my
desktop PC (and potentially another PC and a croaky old laptop) to Pipex
Xtreme.

Any views welcomed - not really a budget set, I'm after the best quality
possible.

Also, any thoughts on the best quality microfilters to get? I'm thinking

of
BT's own brand...

Regards

Al.

I dunno how to measure what the "best" is...

....but i'm very happy with the NetGear DG834 which I use
with Pipex Xtreme.

It's a doddle to set up (it detected all settings apart
from username and password), firewall appears to be
nice and stealthy according to the online tests I've
tried, and it's held the connection since installation
about 10 days ago.
(NB: I upgraded the firmware the same day I got it, which
was both painless and rapid.)

It also costs buttons (88.11 Including VAT) , considering
how slick it is.

See:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/produ...r=DG834&pm=415

....for more details.

Cheers,

Tim.

---

Old February 7th 04, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Huck Portobello

www.pcpro.co.uk used to rave about Buffalo kit - and then went on to US
Robotics. Buffalo is pegged to the 802.11g standard, and US Robotics - whilst
not at 802.11g standard - is a lot faster than the Buffalo. If u use US
Robotics kit - all ure intended network needs be the same; but if u use
802.11g routers etc - any 802.11g kit shd be utilisable on ure network. See
adslguide.org.uk, or dslsupport.co.uk.