Broadband and 2nd HH line

Old February 5th 04, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IslanderUK

Default Broadband and 2nd HH line

Hi

I have Home Highway at the moment which mans I get 2 phone lines and
the ISDN line.

If I switch to broadband do I lose the second phone line and end up
with just one phone line and the Broadband line.

HH is the only way they could get a second phone line into my property
and I really don't want to lose it.

Thanks in anticipation of a reply

Old February 5th 04, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 08:50:52 UTC, IslanderUK
wrote:

I have Home Highway at the moment which mans I get 2 phone lines and
the ISDN line.

It's actually one physical line, with two channels which are shared
between ISDN and analogue, as required.

If I switch to broadband do I lose the second phone line and end up
with just one phone line and the Broadband line.

You end up with one line (as before) but now sharing the permanent
broadband signal with one normal analogue signal.

You will lose the second and third phone numbers. The only solution
would be a second line into the property.

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Old February 5th 04, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Lord

wrote:

I have Home Highway at the moment which mans I get 2 phone lines and
the ISDN line.

It's actually one physical line, with two channels which are shared
between ISDN and analogue, as required.

If I switch to broadband do I lose the second phone line and end up
with just one phone line and the Broadband line.

You end up with one line (as before) but now sharing the permanent
broadband signal with one normal analogue signal.

You will lose the second and third phone numbers. The only solution
would be a second line into the property.

Or Broadbandvoice as Brian mentioned, which by the way is a fantastic
service, particularly if you've got teenage kids!

Andy

Old February 5th 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:53:52 -0000, "Andy Lord" wrote:

Or Broadbandvoice as Brian mentioned, which by the way is a fantastic
service, particularly if you've got teenage kids!

if its the second number you value, rather than line, then CallSign
will give you another incoming number which could be one of the
existing ones. It rings differently and dvices like Twin Talk allow
you to have some phones respond to one ring and the rest to the other.

Phil
Old February 5th 04, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alien Zord

"Andy Lord" wrote in message
Or Broadbandvoice as Brian mentioned, which by the way is a fantastic
service, particularly if you've got teenage kids!

I'd say Skype is ideal for teenagers. My 13 year old and his friends spend
hours using it yet it does not cost the parents a penny extra.

Old February 5th 04, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Lord

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:53:52 -0000, "Andy Lord" wrote:

Or Broadbandvoice as Brian mentioned, which by the way is a fantastic
service, particularly if you've got teenage kids!

if its the second number you value, rather than line, then CallSign
will give you another incoming number which could be one of the
existing ones. It rings differently and dvices like Twin Talk allow
you to have some phones respond to one ring and the rest to the other.

It's the second line at £7.50 a month, totally free off-peak local and
national calls and the fact that you pay for chargeable calls up front by
debit/credit card. If you don't put credit on it then it can only be used
for the free off-peak calls. And they don't tie up your main phone line.
It's brilliant.

Andy

Old February 5th 04, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Lord

"Alien Zord" wrote in message
"Andy Lord" wrote in message
Or Broadbandvoice as Brian mentioned, which by the way is a fantastic
service, particularly if you've got teenage kids!

I'd say Skype is ideal for teenagers. My 13 year old and his friends spend
hours using it yet it does not cost the parents a penny extra.

As long as all their friends have an internet connection, unfortunately my
daughter's best friend doesn't. I don't allow them to have internet
connected PCs in their bedrooms either, so I'd have to put up with listening
to their inane chatter all evening.

Andy

Old February 6th 04, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R W

IslanderUK wrote:
Hi

I have Home Highway at the moment which mans I get 2 phone lines and
the ISDN line.

No, you have a single ISDN line with a TA providing two analogue POTS
sockets each with its own number and two parallel-wired ISDN ports.

If I switch to broadband do I lose the second phone line and end up
with just one phone line and the Broadband line.

If you switch to broadband the line has to be converted back to an
analogue line. So you will have to get rid of your HH service.

HH is the only way they could get a second phone line into my property
and I really don't want to lose it.

You can't run ADSL over ISDN lines (on the BT network). Only analogue.