Netgear DG834G max number of wireless clients?

Old February 5th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
PsychicStickleBrick

Default Netgear DG834G max number of wireless clients?

Anyone know how many wireless clients the Netgear DG834G adsl/wireless/router
can handle?
Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the specs.

TIA

PSB

Old February 6th 04, 08:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

"Martin²" wrote:
: Wifi routers can normally cope with up to fifty.
: However Netgear might have trouble with even one, been there, done that,
: never again.

Yawn...not you again!
Old February 6th 04, 08:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Martin² wrote:
Wifi routers can normally cope with up to fifty.
However Netgear might have trouble with even one, been there, done
that, never again.
Regards,
Martin

Click this link -
http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...asp?prodID=223 - and then click
the link for "datasheet HTML". If you scroll down the page you will find the
entry - "User Support: Up to 253 LAN users". Given there are only 4
hard-wired ports I think it is probably fair to assume that the router will
handle at least 249 wireless clients, if not the full 253.

There are 255 IP addresses available in the range from 192.168.0.1 to
192.168.0.255. The router obviously reserves one of these for itself
(192.168.0.1) and that leaves 254 others - 253 for users and 1 for ?????

I've had a DG834G since the end of December. I've upgraded the firmware
without incident and have run up to 3 wireless devices and 1 wired device
simultaneously without any problem.

Martin obviously has difficulty getting his kit to work and seems to have a
specific hatred of Netgear. Well I'm either luckier than Martin or perhaps
more proficient. I'll let you be the judge. (I might add that this is the
first network I have ever set up, other than ICS with a crossover cable, and
I've had no problems at all.)

Regards,
Tim.
--
Email address is munged. Please reply to newsgroup.

Old February 6th 04, 09:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Morley

In article , "Tiny Tim"
says...
snip

There are 255 IP addresses available in the range from 192.168.0.1 to
192.168.0.255. The router obviously reserves one of these for itself
(192.168.0.1) and that leaves 254 others - 253 for users and 1 for ?????

broadcast address
Old February 6th 04, 02:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
PsychicStickleBrick

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
Martin² wrote:
Wifi routers can normally cope with up to fifty.
However Netgear might have trouble with even one, been there, done
that, never again.
Regards,
Martin

Click this link -
http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...asp?prodID=223 - and then click
the link for "datasheet HTML". If you scroll down the page you will find the
entry - "User Support: Up to 253 LAN users". Given there are only 4
hard-wired ports I think it is probably fair to assume that the router will
handle at least 249 wireless clients, if not the full 253.

But is it fair to assume this? Using other switches and hubs you could connect
253 devices via the wired ports. I would be very surprised if it could support
253 wireless users, especially as other similar Wireless APs only claim to
support 16 or 32 wireless devices.

Old February 6th 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
PsychicStickleBrick

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
PsychicStickleBrick wrote:
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
Martin² wrote:
[...]

It may not be RIGHT to assume but it could be FAIR to assume. I guess the
only real answer will be in contacting Netgear. It would be no more fair to
assume that the connections require the purchase of additional
switches/hubs/routers. Indeed, looking at it that way I reckon 253 wireless
connections is more fair, because there is no caveat that I noticed stating
that extra equipment is required in order to support 253 connections.

--
Email address is munged. Please reply to newsgroup.

Fair point. I have contacted Netgear for a definative answer already...

Old February 6th 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Brian McIlwrath
writes
Tiny Tim wrote:

: There are 255 IP addresses available in the range from 192.168.0.1 to
: 192.168.0.255. The router obviously reserves one of these for itself
: (192.168.0.1) and that leaves 254 others - 253 for users and 1 for ?????

One address for the DHCP server to use I think (192.168.0.2)

192.168.0.0, network address, not allowed for use by a host.
192.168.0.255 is the broadcast address, all hosts on the network will
accept a packet sent to this address.
One address in the scope reserved for the router itself so there are 253
available for use by hosts, unless you've sub/supernetted it (it's a
fair assumption you haven't, give the scope you quote above.)
--
Clint Sharp
Old February 6th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On 6 Feb 2004 08:42:22 GMT, Brian McIlwrath
wrote:

"Martin²" wrote:
: Wifi routers can normally cope with up to fifty.
: However Netgear might have trouble with even one, been there, done that,
: never again.

Yawn...not you again!

he's the most boring **** in any newsgroup I have ever come across
isn't he?

Maximum number is over 250 ......

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old February 20th 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Benedict Addis

The hard limit is 253 total wireless plus wired, as determined by the DHCP
server.
The soft limit is 30-40. Above this, packet collisions slow the whole lot
down to a standstill.

Benedict.
--
Add the 'co' to reply