Line Tests

Old February 5th 04, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

Default Line Tests

We have an order in for ADSL from BT. Our exchange goes live on 10.3.04, and
we are activated by 25.3.04.
I rang them the other day, and they told me the line test had been passed. I
was under the impression that the line test couldn't be done until the
exchange was live, (but I was also told that we could get activated the same
day the exchange goes live!)
Can the line test be passed by now? is it safe for me to go out router
shopping (any surgestions for a good one would also be appreciated
(wireless))?.

Cheers
Pete.

Now, I'm not into conspiracy therois, except ones that are true or involve
dentists
(Michael Moore, 2003)

Old February 6th 04, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G King

Peter Hewitt-Dutton wrote in message
We have an order in for ADSL from BT. Our exchange goes live on 10.3.04,

and
we are activated by 25.3.04.
I rang them the other day, and they told me the line test had been passed.

was under the impression that the line test couldn't be done until the
exchange was live, (but I was also told that we could get activated the

same
day the exchange goes live!)
Can the line test be passed by now? is it safe for me to go out router
shopping (any surgestions for a good one would also be appreciated
(wireless))?.

AIUI you won't get activated on the same day as the exchange "goes live" -
its something like 10 days later - from posts I've read here.
Once your line test is completed - which I wouldn't have thought possible
yet - you should receive an acknowledgement from your intended ISP.

I would hold back from purchasing (potentially expensive) equipment until
you are *ABSOLUTELY* certain that all is well. Online ordering can be
delivered in a couple of days, so why break out in a sweat?

Old February 6th 04, 01:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek Broadhurst

Actually, if there is a DSLAM in the exchange already the they can perform a
line test and tell you of you can have ADSL.. it's probably just the
provision of the backhaul that they're waiting for with the RFS date...

Derek

Old February 6th 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 01:58:01 +0000 (UTC), "Derek Broadhurst"
wrote:

Actually, if there is a DSLAM in the exchange already the they can perform a
line test and tell you of you can have ADSL..

if your line is "Green" is there any further testing at all, one asks
?

Phil
Old February 6th 04, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

wrote:

Actually, if there is a DSLAM in the exchange already the they can
perform a line test and tell you of you can have ADSL..

if your line is "Green" is there any further testing at all, one
asks ?

Phil

Normally not until if/or when you have problems....