Wireless Router

Old February 6th 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

Default Wireless Router

Ok, I'm new to routers, I understand networking, and have set up several,
but none with a router.
Now I'm gonna have to get a router. For convenience it's going to have to be
wireless, with a built in modem (ADSL), and a port to connect to a computer
by cable as well (either USB or LAN).
Price, well, not to cheap, but also not to expensive, preferably less than
100.

Can anyone surgest anything (links would be useful)
Thank you all.
Pete.

Now, I'm not into conspiracy therois, except ones that are true or involve
dentists
(Michael Moore, 2003)

Old February 6th 04, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G King

Peter Hewitt-Dutton wrote in message
Ok, I'm new to routers, I understand networking, and have set up several,
but none with a router.
Now I'm gonna have to get a router. For convenience it's going to have to

be
wireless, with a built in modem (ADSL), and a port to connect to a

computer
by cable as well (either USB or LAN).
Price, well, not to cheap, but also not to expensive, preferably less than
100.

Can anyone surgest anything (links would be useful)

I'd be inclined to go down the separate router/modem path rather than the
combined router/modem path for one very significant reason.... Currently my
ADSL is knackered. When I took it up with my ISP they groaned when I told
them I had a router in the path between PC and them. When I told them that
the modem (ethernet) was a separate item, they cheered up a bit and asked me
to bypass the router and connect the modem directly into the PC - thus
eliminating a large chunk of potential problem area. With a combined
router/modem you won't be able to do this, and when the inevitable support
call is made.............?

FWIW I use D-Link kit. DSL300G+ Modem and DI-624 router which is wireless +
4 Ethernet ports.

HTH

Old February 6th 04, 02:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
skylou

goto www.ebuyer.com
they got some cheap wireless router/modem.
like
for under 70, which I have been using for more than 3 month without a
problem.

"Peter Hewitt-Dutton" дʼ

Old February 6th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant Crozier

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 02:22:54 -0000, "Martin"
wrote:

Go for Draytek Vigor 2600We, it's the best and worth the extra money.
I took me 7 days unequal struggle to learn then I am not rich enough to buy
cheap stuff: Netgear.

I wouldn't be to quick to put down " cheap stuff" Martin since last
September I have had one Asus , three D-Link 504's ,Solwise SAR715,
and a ZyXEL Prestige 652 all of which proceeded to start dropping the
connection after a couple of days and returning to factory defaults
and all have been returned to suppliers for refunds .
On Monday I bought a Dynamode 4 port router from Scan computers
costing 42.00 it was connected at 3.30pm and is still going strong
and also very fast now four days later just because you pay stupid
money for an item it doesn't mean you are getting the best and most
reliable .
Grant .
Old February 7th 04, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Norris

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 02:09:01 -0000, "skylou"
wrote:

goto www.ebuyer.com
they got some cheap wireless router/modem.
like
for under 70, which I have been using for more than 3 month without a
problem.

I was thinking of buying one of these, but I wonder if you could tell
me whether you do any P2P stuff or is your use just email/surfing?

I ask because I was led to believe that the Netgear DG814 was a good,
reliable router, and it was until using Overnet, Emule and the like
when it would regularly drop connections.

Any further info would be most gratefully received.

Old February 7th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Huck Portobello

Links to good gear - perhaps adslguide.org.uk or dslsupport.co.uk or
bulldogdslshop.com or dslreports.com or broadband-help.com or analogx.com ...
shd be plenty of choice!
Old February 7th 04, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
skylou

I am running BT, Kazza on my laptop with wireless connection to the router.
the connection is stable in the past 3 month
And the drop only happened when I was in the bathroom which is 3 walls away
from the router.
The wireless range isn't very good, but it should be ok as long as you are
in the same house.
check out the review on the ebuyer if you want know more, the are lots of
positive reviews.

"Mike Norris" ????
wrote:

goto www.ebuyer.com
they got some cheap wireless router/modem.
like

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...vd19wcm9kdWN0X

292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48452