more plusnet mailbox help!!

Old February 6th 04, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alun Williams

Default more plusnet mailbox help!!

Hi all,

I'm getting increasingly frustrated at plusnets webmail facility so any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Having found out that you cannot create a mailbox AND redirect mail form
that box to another address I have created a redirect for a mailbox that
doesn't exist and sent a test email to it.

The mail forwards ok but doesn't retain a copy on the plusnet mail server.
Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance

Alun

Old February 6th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alun Williams

Don't worry about it people. Just talked to the people at plusnet and their
webmail facility is totally useless for my requirements.

I was previously with NTL and whilst their customer service was abysmal, I
could not fault the product they supplied (until recently). Their webmail
facility was infinitely better than plusnet and if anyone from plus is
monitoring this group I'd suggest you look at other webmail providers and
see how they do things because they make your webmail system look totally
amateurish and almost unusable.

Alun

Old February 6th 04, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hewitt

Alun Williams wrote:

Don't worry about it people. Just talked to the people at plusnet and their
webmail facility is totally useless for my requirements.

I was previously with NTL and whilst their customer service was abysmal, I
could not fault the product they supplied (until recently). Their webmail
facility was infinitely better than plusnet and if anyone from plus is
monitoring this group I'd suggest you look at other webmail providers and
see how they do things because they make your webmail system look totally
amateurish and almost unusable.

Erm, that like going out to buy a car, and finding it didn't have any
doors with it after you bought it.

FWIW, PlusNet's mail service works fine for many thousands of users.
Every so often a user has a special need, and should therefore look to
making sure that a service is what they want before buying it.

Personally, I have no problem with the PlusNet service, it does all I
need. Besides, I can easily reverse forward my mail to my SpamCop
account if needed. At least their system works at all, and they do
proactively fix things when they go wrong.

I too came from NTL:, and most days it might be an hour or two before I
could check my mail at all in the evenings.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v)
Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G3)
Old February 8th 04, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alun Williams

"Andy Hewitt" wrote in message
Erm, that like going out to buy a car, and finding it didn't have any

doors with it after you bought it.

FWIW, PlusNet's mail service works fine for many thousands of users.
Every so often a user has a special need, and should therefore look to
making sure that a service is what they want before buying it.

Personally, I have no problem with the PlusNet service, it does all I
need. Besides, I can easily reverse forward my mail to my SpamCop
account if needed. At least their system works at all, and they do
proactively fix things when they go wrong.

I too came from NTL:, and most days it might be an hour or two before I
could check my mail at all in the evenings.

Hi Andy, thanks for replying.

I did specifically post here back on 23/01/04 asking for suggestions for a
provider that could supply my webmail requirements and was told plusnet
could do all I required so I didn't go into this blind.

3. 1 above able to be configured to forward a COPY* of all emails
automatically to another address.

Response - Yep.

*my later capitalisation

It may well be that I was not specific enough in my original post but that
my fault.

If you have used NTL's webmail you'll know they have the facility to FORWARD
a copy not REDIRECT all emails (a distinction which I'm now beginning to
realise to any number of email addresses.

They also have a nice facility to set up an auto response which is handy if
you are going away and will be unable to respond for a while.

I'm not upset with my choice of plusnet as my new provider. If you came from
NTheLl's dialup account you'll realise how bad they got after the
introduction of their new dialup software and their non existent customer
service. Already plusnet have proved they are more than adequate in this
area and today I have received an email saying they are looking into some of
my suggestions. I can ask for no more (other than implementing them .

You are right, my requirements may well be in a minority but after coming
from the userfrienliness of NTL's webmail to plusnet's I was initially
frustrated at their relatively poor system. You have to admit that being
able to REDIRECT :/ mail from mailboxes that don't exist is a trifle
strange.

Anyway, thanks for responding and here's to a long relationship with what I
hope will be an excellent provider.

Regards

Alun

Old February 9th 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pat

You get one real mailbox - your "default" which you named in the signing
up process.
ANYTHING with @yourusername.plus.com on it goes to here including mail
addressed to your domain name (if you have one) EXCEPT mail with a
redirect address which you have set up (this is not an existing address,
it is a NEW one you make up). This is just a forwarding address, no
mail is stored at the address, it is not really a mailbox. This mail is
instead bounced on to the existing address (eg a mailbox) which you
typed in to the second box when you were setting up the redirect. You
can't look in a redirect because there is nothing inside to see
You get any number of other mailboxes which are described by your
account name + something.
What confused me was the setup form which had rows labelled mailbox and
redirect as if the redirect was a feature of that mail box rather than a
completly separate thing,
So you could have 3 redirects called [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] pointed to three
mailboxes called [email protected] and [email protected] or point all three
redirects to [email protected] (or point them to any address on the Internet)
They would tell their friends "email me at [email protected] username.plus.com
etc.(If you can remember not to type .net - like I keep doing!) and then
read their mail on the computer as [email protected] username.plus.com etc.
(or [email protected])
BUT note that all mail arriving from the three redirects to a joint
mailbox will carry the same "to:" address ie [email protected] so cant re sorted
by eg OE's rules.
I think that the order of doing things is to set up redirects before
setting up mailboxes!
The main reason I typed that lot was to sort it out in my own mind!
Probably not much help! But I am selfishly going to post it anyway!
Pat.
snipped

Old February 9th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pat

Well, I soon spotted one error in my diatribe - you CAN sort the
received redirected mail by redirection address.
Pat